Chapter one - The observer and the doer

Chishiya

From the top floor of the building, I looked down on them: my fellow players. From this point, I had the best view of all. I had always been more of an observer, and that had been a help during these kind of games. Observing meant knowing the answer. I saw a girl. She couldn't be more than 19 years old. She just got shot by a tagger and was bleeding heavily on the ground. She was about to die soon. She looked so weak.

Though I thought it was a shame, I did not feel a lot. In the real world, I had been a rather compassionate man. Especially for the weak; the people that couldn't really afford a room in the hospital where I worked but did everything possible to give their beloved family members the best treatment. But in this world, it seemed like I lost my compassion completely. For the better, because compassion or any other kind of love and affection could mean death. So I chose to see others die instead of dying myself.

After observing the horrible scenes that I had become accustomed to for a while - people killed by guns, knives and fists of taggers and other players - I plugged in my earbuds and went to look for the 'Safe Room' the game masters told us about.

Two floors and what felt like 70 checked doors later, I found one that wasn't locked. The Safe Room. 'I knew that this was the right floor,' I thought by myself, 'because this was the one the taggers tried to protect the most.' At the same moment, I saw a shadow coming from behind the corridor and I heard that irritating voice: 'Ah, loser! It seems like we found the Room! Let me pass, dumbass. It's time for the big boys to claim their prize.' Niragi.

Niragi

Even though I knew his name, I didn't care about him at all. I thought he was a useless brat: just standing there doing nothing the whole game long while we did the dirty work. And then, he even dared to open the door just in front of us to go away with the honor. 'No way!' I yelled at him and I pushed him away so I could pass to enter the Safe Room, while giving him a dirty look. I stuck out my tongue at him and spit on his jacket. 'What do you think, not letting us through to finish this game?'

'Niragi, stop playing and let me pass to clear the Room and finish the game!' Aguni yelled at me.
'Sure, boss. What you want! You did an amazing job this game,' I mumbled timid while glaring at Chishiya. He gave me a slight grin and I knew he was mocking me. The high-minded rat he was. Why was he even still alive? He was so small and not muscular at all. He would probably die soon.

Chishiya

'So, how did it go? How many other players from the Beach were there? What kind of game was it?' Kuina bombed me with so many questions at once that my head hurt.
'Just me and some members of the militant-squad. The rest of the players were people I don't know. Sadly, a lot of them were too dumb to stay alive,' I replied heartless.
'Wasn't it a physical game instead of a mind game?' Kuina asked.
'No. In the end, every game they let us play is a mind game, Kuina,' I replied.
'Now, I need some rest and a clean hoodie.' And without saying anything more, I left the main hall of the Beach-hotel and went straight to my room.

There, I stared at the spot on my hoodie in the mirror for half an hour.
'Niragi is such a brainless animal. Shooting and swearing are the only things he is capable of,' I thought. 'He would probably die soon.'

And at that very same moment while I was standing there and thinking that, I saw his reflection in the mirror, standing behind me in the door opening and smiling like an idiot. Niragi.

[End of chapter one]

_______________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and are looking forward to reading more! English is not my mother language, so any feedback concerning the grammar and spelling is welcome down below, as well as feedback on the content. Let me know what you think!

Photo from the Alice in Borderland series on Netflix