Chapter thirty - Locked up - Part one

Niragi

As soon as the gates to freedom opened again, I walked out without looking back. Behind me, I heard Arisu ask Kuina what happened with Usagi. Although I would love to see that face of him after hearing, I didn't want to be hit, I've had enough of that... for now at least. But when I was a couple of metres further away, I heard him scream: 'I will get you back, Niragiiiii!' and that made me chuckle a bit.

I walked to the big bridge to have a better view over Tokyo. I sat down on the rusty railing and opened Chishiya's backpack to look for something: the walkie talkie he gave me. I had no idea where Chishiya was, but if I kept talking to the walkie while walking around the city centre, I would eventually find him when I came close enough for him to hear me through it.

So that was my plan: walking around, especially in the environnement of diamonds games, until Chishiya answered me through the walkie talkie. And I really hoped that plan would do.

Chishiya

I looked up at the sky, where a big zeppelin carrying a giant jack of hearts playing card was blocking the sun from shining upon me. Then, I looked in front of me, to the gates of the big building I was about to enter. 'This could be interesting,' I mumbled by myself.

As I entered the prison, a shiver went down my spine. Although I had accustomed to a lot of scary things here in Borderland, a prison made me think of bad people from the real world. Maybe there were such people among us, transported to the Borderlands as well, without the rest of us knowing about what they did. But then I thought of people like Aguni and the Hatter, who were kind of innocent at first but then became criminals because of Borderland. And Niragi. But he was different.

I smirked and finally walked in, grabbing a collar from the table. I inspected it before putting it on: it had a small, round screen on the back and two short cables in the front, that clearly were made to connect once the collar was around somebody's neck. It looked like electronics were build in. But what was the purpose of it? I had seen a lot of these kind of collars in Borderland. Some gave electric shocks, some exploded.

As I lived here for the risks, I put it on, thinking that maybe - it was the last piece of accessory I would ever wear until I died.

I walked through the quiet hallways of the building before joining the rest of the group, curious to find some clues for what kind of game it would be. But I found nothing, except for rayons of empty cell blocks and guard rooms. Just what you could expect from a prison? Average people would stop looking and go on, but smart people like me knew exactly that this was a giant source of information... I smirked.

I carefully looked through all the paperwork that I could find in the guard rooms: documentations of prisoners: their names, ages, the crimes they committed. Stupid shoplifters and bank robbers didn't attract my attention. It was the real psychopaths that seemed interesting to me. I imprinted their names carefully into my memory before destroying the papers I had found and closing the door. Finally, I returned on my steps to find a group of randomly selected people, all with the collar around their neck. The game was about to begin.

Niragi

I looked at the clear sky, scanning for zeppelins when I noticed a big, red one floating only a couple of kilometres away from me. I squinted my eyes to take a better look at it and smirked brightly. It was the Queen of Diamonds: a game that possibly also attracted Chishiya's attention.

I started my run towards the game, but got interrupted by someone coming from a side street of the main road I was on: Arisu, followed by Kuina and Usagi, who looked frightened to see me. Arisu, on the other hand, was furious. He balled his fists, ready to burrow them into my abdomen.