Chapter thirteen - Get home

Niragi

Aguni sat behind the steering wheel and looked at me through the mirror. After bringing up all the memories from before the Borderlands, I didn't want to be confronted with anything anymore. 'Where were you when the other militants left? Why weren't you with them?' he asked.
I frowned: 'we had to form teams and I wasn't able to go with them.'
He looked mad at me: 'so you went with Chishiya, then? You know you always have to stay with one of us to clear a game. You are a dissapointment!'

Shit. I was mad but didn't reply. I was going to tell Aguni the truth about the playing card, but that intention was gone now. I saw one of the militants looking at my wounds and covered them up a bit with my clothes. 'Let's look for the two lost militants right away. I need them and the playing card,' he snapped at me and the others.

Enough. Chishiya was right. I was done being the puppy. 'I want to go home. I am wounded and I need to rest from the game I played. You can go look for them with the others,' I said with my bravest voice and I saw his eyes flame up through the mirror.

'Such a dissapointment, but still a big mouth. I'll drop you off at the hotel but not without a proper punishment,' Aguni said and we drove home in silence.

Chishiya

I looked outside the car window and pondered about what happened. The storm inside of me still didn't die and the thought of our morning alone gave me a warm feeling. What the heck was this...?

'Are you okay?' Arisu asked.
I hummed and turned my head to the window. I put in my earbuds and set the volume so hard that I couldn't hear anyone anymore. I saw the others looking at each other with worried faces but ignored them.
When we arrived at the Beach, I stormed out of the car and went straight to my room. I had no need to talk to anyone.

After laying down for a while, I heard one single knock and saw Kuina enter my room. She hesitated to come through. 'Hatter gave you five days of rest. Niragi has free time now as well. It seems like the game you played was very hard... Do you want to talk about it?' She knew the answer so I rolled away from her.

'The militants are still looking for the two lost ones. They can't find them. I am afraid Aguni will mention it during the next few meetings. But don't bother too much, you have to rest now,' she chattered. 'If you need anything, you know where to find me.' I felt her eyes in my back but didn't move. 'Okay, see you around,' she said and I heard her leave my room.

Niragi

I saw Kuina leave Chishiya's room after I overheard their conversation and ran back to my room. So Chishiya also didn't tell her anything about the playing card? I had to find out what he was going to do with it. But I wouldn't tell Aguni. Oh no, he wasn't on a good page with me anymore. I looked in the mirror next to my door and saw two black eyes staring back at me. He punched me after arriving at the Beach. He must've thought that I had something to do with the dissapearance of our team members.

Luckily Hatter gave me free days. I was planning on staying inside of this room until my wounds dissapeared completely. I couldn't show myself in this state. But I also wanted to keep an eye on Chishiya. He couldn't leave his room because he would maybe spread information about me. My plan was to wait and intervene when he tried to leave his room. Otherwise: no contact. I wanted him to overthing what happened between us. I wanted him to think so hard that he started craving for me.

Chishiya

Four days had passed. The last days had been very weird. The storm inside of my chest laid down after a day or two and then, a lot of questions arised. What happened between Niragi and me? Was it just a thing in the moment or... What did I feel? I never really paid much attention to my own feelings, so it was difficult to do so now.

The only thing I knew was this: I hated Niragi. With a passion. But some games happened where we helped each other, what gave him the idea to become more friendly to me outside of the games. Even though he was a bully to me when his militants were around him, he was way more kind when we were alone. When the other militants died during our last game, his façade broke together with him and he showed me his true self. I guess...

But after they discovered us, he built up his façade again and didn't speak to me ever since. What should I do? I didn't want to develop a weakness that could bother me during games.

Someone knocked on my door. After five seconds, Kuina entered with a platter of food. 'How are you feeling?' she asked while putting the platter on my bedside table. 'The last game really seemed very difficult for you. Do you still not want to talk about it?' She sat down on the side of my bed.
'No, I'm fine,' I reassured her.
'Okay. Well, there is a meeting in two hours and Hatter asked me to inform you that you are welcome to attend it,' she smiled. 'But only if you feel like it. You must rest before doing another game,' she said strict.
'Tell him I'll be there,' I told her and I implied with a gesture that I was ready with her and she could go.

Okay. I would definitely have to face Niragi during the meeting. So I was going to be able to analyse his reactions and see how he was doing.

After two hours, I walked towards the meeting room. It was already a bit later, but I didn't bother. But surprisingly, when I entered, I only saw Hatter seated on the Board Table. 'Uhh... Wasn't the meeting now?' I asked.
'I have to talk to you,' Hatter said cold.

[End of chapter thirteen]

_______________________________________

Hii! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and are looking forward to reading more. Thanks for commenting and voting! :D

Photo from the Alice in Borderland series on Netflix