Chapter five - The ruse

Chishiya

Ever since I became a part of the Beach, the rooftop had been my hideaway. Like I was the only one that could reach it, or together with Kuina, at least. I laid down on my back and looked up to the stars. Without all the lights of a busy Tokyo night life, the sky was filled with thousends of them.

I heard a fade click of the door and tilted my head to see who was coming. Kuina stood there like a little girl, waiting for approval to come closer. 'Hi, Shuntaro. Can I sit with you?' she asked.

'Hmm... yes, what's up?' I replied.

She strode towards me and sat down on the border of the roof. 'Tokyo seems so peaceful at night here...' she mumbled.

Niragi

I sat at the bar of the pool area with a vodka on the rocks in my hand, thinking about Chishiya. Fuck, he made me so crazy. My feelings were all over the place because of him. He reminded me a lot of myself, though: always one step ahead of everyone else.

I looked up to the sky and saw... him, sitting on the border of the rooftop, one leg dangling over it. What a coincidence. I just couldn't stop being confronted with him: be it in my mind or in front of me.

'Niragi,' Aguni said while taking the seat next to me. He looked at my face, his eyes still a bit worried, and slowly took away my glass to put it back behind the counter of the bar.

'Uh... Hello too, boss. Why are you taking away my drink?' I asked.

He frowned: 'because you have to stop getting drunk every other night. You need to stay focused.'

I grinned and tried to sound lighthearted: 'but boss, I never did something wrong, did I? I always show up at meetings, I never give the impression of being drunk at important moments and I always obey your commands. Why can't I have this one?'

'No. Niragi. I have been worried about Hatters state lately. I think being the number one of this whole thing is taking its toll from him. I...' He came closer to me and whispered: 'I think it's making him mad. We need to be prepared for everything right now. If you know what I mean.' His mouth formed a straight line and his eyes were worried.

I looked deep into his eyes, trying to figure out what he was aiming for. After a while, I nodded.

'Let's agree that you won't drink anymore and that you'll be a good disciple for me, no matter what happens, okay?' he concluded. Even though it sounded like a question, we both knew that there was no negotiating.

I nodded as he left me alone again. To be honest, I started getting annoyed by the way he treated me. Even though he was the first person ever that was nice to me when I arrived here, he became rather rude the last couple of weeks. I didn't know if it had something to do with his worries about Hatter, but that was no excuse to treat me like a dog. I had always been fucking loyal to him. He would as well have called me a 'good boy' or something. Shit.

I sighed and turned around on my chair to go upstairs. What was the fucking point of being at the bar if I 'couldn't even drink anything'? I looked up one more time to watch Chishiya. Oh, he looked so cute from my point of view; surounded by the dark starry sky. While walking past the bar, I plucked a random bottle from the counter to take with me to my room and I left.

Chishiya

After a long but comfortable silence, Kuina finally said what she came for to say: 'Chishiya, I was thinking about what you said earlier. And I'm in, if you want me to.'

I squinted my eyes, breaking my head over what she meant. But then I remembered. She was talking about running away.

'Are you sure? I don't know if that'd be a good idea...' I doubted.

'Yes! I have had enough of the militants bullying everyone. Especially after last game,' she shouted.

'Okay, you are right. But sacrifices will have to be made. Are you ready to do that?' I asked.

Kuina nodded enthousiastically. I didn't know if she was aware of what making sacrifices meant, but I didn't really care. I was juggling with the idea of stealing the cards and running away for a while now. And having someone I could rely on made the idea even more alluring to perceive.

'We can't just leave and make all our work for nothing though,' I whispered, 'when we go, we will have to find a way to take the valuables with us.' I smirked.

Kuina turned towards me and giggled in excitement. 'Let's make a ruse and leave the Beach and all it's fools behind!' she yelled-whispered.

And I grinned and nodded in agreement: 'deal. I'll inform you when I thought out a doable plan. Stay under the radar for now.' I stood up and waved her goodbye before leaving her behind.

When I arrived in my hallway, I came across Niragi, who was on his way to his own room. What a coincidence. When passing him, I purposefully bumped into him and the bottle in his hand almost fell on the floor. He cursed under his breath but didn't do anything more than giving me a dirty look and walking on towards his room. I smirked and went to mine as well. Laying down in bed, I imagined being on my own in the Borderlands again. Or with one other person, at least? And I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

[End of chapter five]

_______________________________________

Hii! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and are looking forward to reading more! Comments and votes are appreciated!

Photo from the Alice in Borderland series on Netflix