Chapter nine - Truth or die - Part one

Chishiya

I was sitting on an empty table, taking little nibs of some vegetables and listening to my IPod when Kuina approached me with a platter. On it, there was a bowl and two brownies. 'Good evening, Chishiya!' she smiled while taking a little candle out of her pocket and lighting it with a lighter.
I frowned at her while she put it on one of the brownies. When she shoved the candled brownie to me, I asked her what her intentions were.
'Don't you know? It's gonna be your 40th game tonight! That calls for a celebration!' she smiled. She is always so optimistic. At least, more optimistic then me.

I smirked and ate my bowl before taking the brownie and dramatically blowing out the candle. 'Let's hope it's going to be a fun one,' I said sarcastically. 'Because I have enough going on outside the games...' I sighed.
Kuina looked at me with a worried face, but she knew I wouldn't explain myself more.
'Okay, I see you tomorrow. Thanks for the treat,' I said and I stood up to prepare myself for the game of tonight.

I ran to my room to fetch a warmer hoody and running shoes. In this world, the nights were way colder than I remembered. When I opened the door to start my walk to the nearest game arena, An was standing on the other side of the hallway. 'Hatter asked me to inform you about the car that is waiting to take you to an assigned game.'

I smiled politely at her: 'sorry An, but I walk to my games.'

She turned around and beckoned me to follow her. 'Hatter explicitely told me you need to take the car instead of going to a game of choice. Follow me, I'll show you where you have to go,' she said calmly.

I rolled with my eyes and followed her to the car. I got inside of it without looking who the other players for tonight were and put on my earbuds. I waved sarcastically at An when we drove away and started to concentrate on the landscape that moved before my eyes.

The Tokyo of my memories was so different from this one. Though I didn't know which one I preffered. In the 'real world', there were a lot of people who all thought they were the main character of the bigger picture. In facts, even my parents did. That's why I wasn't important for them, I guess... Especially my father. He thought that he was saving the world everyday by being a doctor. He lived for it. But all he did was breaking his sons world. Bit by bit. I was so curious to find something to live for myself. That's why I wanted to become a doctor too. But I never felt it. Lives are worthless to me, including my own one. Now that I am here, this grade I worked for my whole life is worthless, but my knowledge and carelessness do help me a lot in the games. I see the irony of it all now. But maybe I can soon discover something worth living for...

My thoughts got interrupted by the car that brutally stopped. The person in the seat in front of me turned around and laughed: 'we arrived! Time for some fun!' It was Niragi.
I rolled with my eyes and thought: 'what a fun surprise for my 40th game anniversary...'

Niragi

'Come on, let's win this and celebrate tonight!' I yelled in enthousiasm.
My two teammates from the militant squad that were in the car cheered and Chishiya rolled with his eyes and sighed. So typical of him.

I jumped out of the car and slammed the door. My squad followed me and I confidently walked to the entrance of the game arena, rifle dangling around my shoulder.

A few metres behind, Chishiya followed in our wake. I was so happy when Hatter and Aguni agreed on my deal: I would behave better if he let me play with Chishiya tonight.

The game arena was a kind of police office. 'I am so excited to find out what kind of game it will be! I hope I can shoot things...' I yapped while we logged into the phones. 'Whatever it will be, I will beat everyone in here!' I laughed.