17- Charity

"I'm giving him a chance

"I'm giving him a chance." Her soft, delicate voice spoke the words that I never thought I would despise.

She gave him a chance.

He doesn't deserve a chance. No one deserves a chance, but she's too caring and lovely to care. I don't even know who he is, but I hate him.

I hate him with a passion that's fueled by my infatuation with her.

"She gave him a damn chance." I curse under my breath as I straighten my tie and dust off my suit jacket before my side door opens.

I step out of the black limousine as the bright flashes from the photographers' blind my eyes as the warm breeze flows against my skin, and security guides me to the door of the elegant building that holds the event.

Everything was elegant, sophisticated, and graceful from the white marbled floor to the tall, sky light ceiling that held lights that illuminated the room gold.

There were tables closer towards the stage that hand a bouquet in the middle of each table, while further to back of the room there's more space for the bar and mingling.

I greet others, welcoming them and thanking them for coming, until I see three figures secluded in their own group farthest from everyone.

I excuse myself making my way towards them, but was met half way as she wraps her arms around my torso.

"Carter, it's been a while." She smiles stepping out of the hug.

"Nice to see you, Rosa." I greet, mirroring her smile.

Rosa was just a nickname based off her middle name, Rose, but her real name is Devin.

"Come on, these two insist on being away from everyone." Devin said grabbing my wrist and leading me to the other two, "Standing in the corner trynna act mysterious and shit." She mutters under her breath causing a chuckle to leave me.

The closer we get to the pair the more I'm more aware of the glare trained on our connected wrist and hand, and before I spoke my brother did.

Alessandro claps Marco's shoulder, "Relax, Marco, mio fratello, isn't interested in your fiancé beyond friendship. My older brother has this huge crush on a beautiful veterinarian that refuses to acknow—"

"Stai zitto." I glare at my brother in annoyance.
[Shut up]

Alessandro and I have known Marco since we were young, though he holds a grudge against me for sleeping with the girl he ghosted for four years, it's complicated; though we didn't feeling anything romantic for each other.

Even as he wraps his arms around Devin's waist as she smiles combing his hair back, I'm not bothered plus my mind was other places.