36- Uber

I bright smile blooms on my face as I turn to look at my dad

I bright smile blooms on my face as I turn to look at my dad. He looked the same a faded haircut, a beard that was sprinkled with a few grays, and smile lines permanently etched from his nose to the edge of his lips.

"Didn't Mama tell you stop calling me that?" I send him a I'mma-snitch look. "What would she say if she heard you?"

He chuckles wrapping his arms around me, "Let's not jump to drastic measures, child. What you're mother doesn't know won't kill her."

I hug him back, "Now you're keeping secrets from your wife?"

He breaks the hug sending me a look of disapproval, "California made you an instigator. You should move back to Texas. Sammy from the shelter you use to work at is hiring."

"As much as I appreciate the offer, I don't wanna." I shrug.

His brows furrowed, "How'd you get here? Why didn't you ask us to pick you up from the airport?"

"I took an Uber."

When I step back closer to Carter my dad finally realizes he's there. He looks at the man behind me then to the suitcases beside him.

Carter holds out his hand for a handshake but my dad was already speaking,

A grateful smile comes to my dad's face, "Oh, I'm sorry man I didn't see you. Thank you for dropping off my daughter. If I knew she was taking an Uber I would've gotten her, but thank you. And you ain't have to bring her luggage."

Instead of shaking Carter's hand, he slides his hand into a fist, dapping him up, but Carter's hand was so stiff my dad had a better chance of doing the handshake with a plank of wood.

I go still, tending to keep my laughter at bay, as my dad thanks my boyfriend and before I could correct him he was inside the house looking for money to tip him.

I look at Carter and we both smile, his more amused as mine was apologetic.

"Come in." I invite him inside the house, closing the door behind us and locking it.

"Are you sure?" He hesitantly step pass the threshold of the house, "I do not want your father wondering why your Uber driver is in your house."

"You'll be fine, cariño." I place my hands on his chest sliding them up to his shoulders to give him some comfort.

He bows his head and I press two kisses on his forehead. I felt like he needed the extra affection.

From behind me I hear someone clear their throat and I turned around as if I had been caught doing something I shouldn't have, but I relax when I see my mom standing in the living room.

"Hi, Mama." I say gently as she welcomes me into her arms and they wrap around me tightly.

She smiles brightly showcasing dimples I wish I had inherited, "Hi, my sweet girl. How was your trip?"