37- Birthday Cake

I haven't slept in this room since I was seventeen

I haven't slept in this room since I was seventeen. I woke up early and confused when I looked around and didn't see the familiarity of Carters bedroom or my apartment. My memory caught up when I registered that I was in my childhood room, but the space beside me was cold and empty.

While me and Carter were listening to music in my room last night until a loud voice echoed throughout the house announcing his and my baby sister's presence. Upon their arrival my father was cursing under his breath about he has to now 'deal with two them' along with other incoherent, non-heartfelt complaints.

When August and Delani arrived shortly after we all gathered at the table to eat and dinner mostly consisted of Delani and August telling us about college, me filling them in on my life, dad trying to interrogate Carter, and Mama scolding him for it.

But Carter didn't seem bothered or irritated with the interrogation. He was willing to answer any questions my dad asked. Dad only asked surface questions, learning Carter was from Italy and moved to America when he was eighteen, and that English wasn't his first language.

He had only knew a handful about the language when in Italy and officially learned English when in college.

After dinner we all went to bed. Delani and August going to her room, my dad and mom retreating to their room, Carter and me to mine. But I was still confused even after recollecting my memory to why my boyfriend wasn't asleep beside me.

Today's dad's birthday.

Sluggishly, I throw the covers off of me getting out of bed. My feet drags against the carpet floor as I make my way across the room, and I didn't even look at the mirror.

Opening the bedroom door I walk out into the hallway, glancing at Delani's closed door a room down, and already I could hear the shush voices coming from the kitchen.

I peak behind from the hallway wall to see my mom and Carter in the kitchen. "Carter, honey, you're burning the bacon." My mom shoos Carter away from the pan of frying bacon.

My boyfriend's face contorts to a look of disdain, "Good. The grease was hurting me."

He was dressed in sweatpants and a plain, white T-shirt.

Mama laughed taking the kitchen tongs, "That's why you have to step back so the grease doesn't pop you."

Carter steps back letting my mom take the bacon from the pan and onto a plate layered with paper towels. Carter watched as she turned off the stove and moving the pan off the heat.

"I should've asked you what you are comfortable with cooking before giving you a task." My mom smiles.

"Omelets and eggs are my specialty when it comes to breakfast." Carter shrugs.