43

CRUZ POV

Her legacy was to be kind.

The sun above glares it's hot rays down on us.

With each step my breathing was painful.

The brown leaves crumble under my shoes.

The air is thick no wind no cool breeze to ease the build up of perspiration along my forhead.

The endless old head stones of love one's pictures and last meaningful words blur past me.

Every week for the past month I've been coming to see her to feel her presence but it was just like last week nothing.

I hold precious closer to my chest as we made it to her resting place.

The colourful bouquets of flowers sit nicely on top of the dirt no head stone.

I read on the white cross where a rosemary beads sits.

"our lost is gods gain" I choked trying to read the rest.

I place the flowers onto many bouquets of flowers my eye gaze down on a reef precious cries in my arms I pat her bottom softly and jiggle her to calm down.

I take a moment to calm precious and say a few words.

We left the cemetery not after washing our hands hers and mine.

The drive was long and painful I arrive and grab precious sleeping in her car seat I walk up to the door and knocked twice.

The door open's and terry's mama smiles softly with her hands out to grab the sleeping baby she looks up at me.

"you did everything you could cruz and terry knows that we all do, go live your life we will keep in touch but baby will always be precious lopez thanks to you she will know the truth I promise"

I hand precious over to her nanny with a nod I turn around and walked to my car and drove to the closes bar and called D.

I ended up at a bar where D was waiting in our usually spot he stood as I approached him he pulls me into a hug I never knew I needed.

We sat down together.

"brother stop torturing yourself there was nothing you could of done"

I nod as swirling the brown liquor in the crystal tumbler in my right hand I take a sip feeling the burn down my throat.

"popz called just after you, marcy has woken"

I slowly turn my head to D.

"you tell me now?"

He sighs as he ran his hand through his hair he has been my rock when marcia was in a car accident and terry's body was rejecting the blood transfusion.

I was a walking zombie from one hospital room to another.

I eventually told our parents about precious they weren't happy at first but when they saw baby their hearts melted like mine.

I look up at my little brother.

"sorry you didn't deserve that I don't mean to be upset at you I really am grateful you have been there for me and yet I haven't for you"

He shook his head.

"it's the least I can do for you as a brother that practically raised me pulled my ear to behave stayed up to help me pass my classes made sure I ate never apologies we are brothers"

We finished our drinks and went to grab some flowers and visit marcia we walk down the familiar corridors with patients in pain or injured as we turn the corner I shuffled around a big dark skin complexion pacific island guy in a colourful shirt and shorts I looked passed him the corridor is full of what looks like his family I follow Dario through the crowd of people wondering what is going on the women were crying the men holding the women I looked down watching D steps not wanting to see more people crying I hit into D.

"sorry" I mumble and looked up.

I looked around everyone was staring at us I looked at D and gesture to go in he pushes the door open and steps into a room all eyes snapped to us. There were so many people we couldn't see the hospital bed.

"umm I think we're in the wrong room"

D and I was about to turn around till we were heard a raspy voice.

"Dario? cross?"

The people stepped aside for us to walk to marcia she looked better then yesterday her colour has return her fire in her eyes sparkle, her gorgeous smile I've missed grabs my heart with a slight squeeze she raises her arms and D leans down to hug her.

"Gosh I've missed you marcy never again never do that to us to me" she slightly smiles as he let's her go.

"cmon you know I'll haunt you"

Gasp are heard around the room making me feel uneasy not knowing who these people are.

"I will" she proclaims "I'll flick the light off and on and play with your tv" she smirks with amusement but her eyes says she will.

I saw a few heads shake D steps aside and I place her flowers at the foot of her bed and went in for a hug we both inhale deeply ma has been washing marcia everyday and making sure the best lotion was on her face and body the tropical sent reminds me of the island.

"I missed you cross"

She pulls me in harder I felt her fist squeeze me as hard as I her I nod not able to speak.

We let go as I stood up I glance around her grabbing the flowers I placed them beside her and sat on the bed there was nowhere else to sit or stand.

Her eyes sparkle as she smiles.

"Ma and popz were going to stay and wait for you but popz received a phone call and they just left"

We nod because everyday ma has been by Marcia on the window side of the bed.

"okay where's Junior and phatz?" she ask looking behind and around me.

A women yells out over everyone in the room for them.

"ehh hush up it's a hospital not a zoo and you's can kindly wait outside scaring the dam doctors and nurses"

Marcia waves the people out as two big pacific islanders walk in with smiles on their faces one with a tattoo on his arm holding a small guitar the other holding a gift bag they both grabbed our hands with a heavy yank and shake.

"Cruz, Dario this is Junior and phatz the others are their family from the states came to visit and stay for a week"

"ahhh this is junz and phat boy?"

D chuckles as he points at the guys.

"yep"

I raise a brow at D as if what did I miss.

"I'll explain later brother so you brang the family where will you's be staying?"

They look between us then at marcia.

"with me"

"what!" D exhaled.

"pardon?" I whispered yelled.

She hasn't got a big place three could just fit in the guest room.

"I'm kidding gee's clive hired a air bnb for them he arranged everything no stress"

We sat down and listen to how she met Junior and the time she spent with his family. While we talk the family went sight seeing because marcia threaten them if they don't leave she will discharge herself and take them they grudgingly left.

I wanted to lay down beside marcia twirl her hair through my fingers and watch her sleep.

I wanted to take her home in my arms and keep her safe and talk sweet words to her.

I wanted her to know she means alot to me.