203

"I'm not quite sure what to do." Satoru huffed out in jest, but his words were riddled with introspection. In the middle of the training field, the strongest sorcerer stood 10 meters apart from the begrudging Nanami. Though he was meant to train his kouhai, Satoru was distracted. He brooded out loud as he occasionally glanced in your direction. "I wanted her to be dependent on me, but I'm scared of the consequences. What if I kill her? What then?"

Though the other students would have written off whatever Satoru had to say, Nanami had a feeling his words stung deeper than he led them on to be. Even if he didn't like the prospect of being Satoru Gojo's personal therapist, this wasn't something he could ignore. If it remained unaddressed, who knows what the strongest sorcerer would do. "Even in all of your idiocy, I can never picture you killing Y/n of your own volition. You're overthinking it." Nanami grumbled, firmly holding his blade in hand.

Satoru braced infinity for impact as his gaze landed on his foe. With eyes gilded in a distant azure blue, the atmosphere was chilled by the crude cut lines of his stiff facade. "So what if I am? Just because I'm overthinking it doesn't mean the possibility is ruled out. I can hurt her. I can kill her."

Taking a deep breath, Nanami jumped forward to land his initial blow. Of course it was no match, but he didn't expect it to be successful. "So then what are you gonna do about it?"

"I don't know." Satoru huffed, his body loosening as he flung his Kohai in the air. "I can't distance myself forever. She'd just be targeted by external forces anyways, and I'd be worried sick. But if I pull myself closer, I'd be her biggest threat. If there were people around that could stop me from going too far, I'd be more comfortable. But if it's just us two? Nanami..."

"And why would you want to hurt her?" The 7:3 sorcerer huffed, barely landing on his feet a few meters ahead. He seemed more annoyed that mud splashed all over his uniform bottoms than his inability to cut through Satoru's defenses. "Is there any reason you'd hurt her? Something you'd hate her for?"

"No!" Satoru exploded. Any semblance of lightheartedness was lost as the boy stood in a crater of his own creation. "I love her- I love her so much. I'd kill anyone before I had to kill her. I... I just want to protect her. I want to keep her safe."

As it died down, the two sorcerers exchanged a moment of silence. Satoru, having realized his affliction, tried to calm himself with a few deep breaths. But Nanami filled the void between them. "Would you kill her if it was the only way to protect her, then?"

Satoru's expression blanked. "What do you mean?"

"Let's say something happened, and her powers got too out of control where it was self-destructive." Nanami continued, raising up his hatchet to brace another attack. "Or if there was a malicious curse infecting her. Or if she was in a state of irreparable injury where she was suffering. Would you kill her if it meant protecting her?"

Satoru's mouth went agape. "I... I might." Shaking the thought out of his head, he continued completely forgetting what he was supposed to be doing. "But what if I'm selfish? Come on, Nanami. You of all people should understand how selfish I can be."

"There's a circumstance for everything." Nanami frowned, rushing the boy in a surprise ambush. Though he was almost successful, Satoru was able to snap back to dodge it. "Just because I'm overthinking it doesn't mean the possibility can be ruled out. But, it's just a possibility. If you want to know my honest opinion, the scenario where you and Y/n live happily together can only be possible when you're not distancing yourself from her."

"If you leave her right now, her blood will be on your hands."

The words of his future self echoed in his head. It seems Nanami, in all of his monogamy, was right. Here Satoru was focusing on the fact he killed her - but not the why. If he left her side, it's plausible something could have happened, leading to the one-in-an off chance he'd need to stain his hands with you.