212

You were finally brought back to the Gojo Clan where you were meant to make a grand recovery after the Special Grade encounter at the Kyoto Sister School Exchange Event. Not that you needed much recovery now, anyways.

For the most part, you were able to function just fine. Sure you were achy from head to toe, but it wasn't as bad as it was while you were still at the school. Give it a few more days, and you'd be good as new! Of course your recovery wasn't the speediest, but you felt you weren't out cold for as long as you could have been.

But right now, your recovery was the least of your concerns.

"..."

His parents were waiting patiently for your arrival at the clan gates. So you could only imagine the look on their faces when they saw what gem encrusted object was occupying your ring finger. Not like Satoru tried to hide it, either. He had the dumbest smirk planted on his lips as he held the car door open for you to step out.

"Satoru, you better have a damn good expla-"

"Nope!"

So, he was going the honest route. You quickly opened your mouth to attempt any semblance of damage control, but the Clan Head swiftly cut you off.

"This isn't something light." His father's voice was firm, hazel eyes fixed on the troublemaker as if you weren't even there. "The plans for a formal engagement were for her safety. You, more than anyone else, should know better than this. How do you think it's going to look that your engagement happened so off the books?!?"

Satoru shot his gaze away, closing the car door behind you. His current strategy: ignore it, and maybe it'll go away?

"She is at risk. So why are you treading on thin ice?! If something happens to her - it'll be your fault."

At the end of the day, not even Satoru Gojo was able to ignore his father for long. These words in particular struck a nerve. You could tell by the way his body stiffened - cold, tense, and buzzing with emotions you couldn't begin to understand. If left unregulated, who knows what type of explosion it would spark. So you intervened.

"Gojo-sama, we're sorry."

Grabbing Satoru by the collar, you interrupted the Father-son interrogation to force your fiancé to join you in a bow. "We know it looks bad... but we can still fix it. The only people who saw us were trusted classmates, so word shouldn't have traveled far. It's not too late to have a traditional engagement, but if anything happens I'm willing to take full responsibility. It was my fault things got too carried away."

Both Gojo's were surprised by your insertion, Satoru more so than his father. But your apology seemed to ease the tension - however temporary that may be. In a disgruntled sigh, the Gojo Clan Head straightened out his kimono. He couldn't really stay mad at you, who he understood was probably just roped into it through Satoru's bad decisions to begin with.

"You're lucky my daughter-in-law is reasonable, Satoru." Crossing his arms, he continued in a huff. "Fine. We can proceed as scheduled."

Turning towards you, you could clearly see the wrinkles line his eyes. Did he always look this tired, or was this just the Satoru effect? It could also be a mix of both, but even you could tell there was something eerily off about him. "We have a formal engagement planned in 10 days from today. Your ring, Kimono, stylists and chauffeur have already been selected. I can brief you on the rest of it when I'm able to clear my head. Understood?"

You nodded.

"Now..." The Gojo Clan Head extended his shaky hand. "The ring."

Without exchanging another word, you slid it off of your finger to return it.