204

The day was finally here.

The Kyoto Sister School Exchange Event was lining the horizon with specialty banners, bright orange pylons and lush green fields exclusively set up for this year's challenges. Though you were thrown 10 years in the past, these games were laid precisely how you remembered them in 2018.

Two competitive events are held by the school during the first weekend of October. On Saturday, students wander through Jujutsu High's nature-reserve to exorcize curses to score points for their respective schools. Although Sunday's event is supposed to be ruled by lottery, it always ends up as individual battles.

Apparently Tokyo had an overwhelming victory last year. Satoru would say it was because of his 'crippling good looks,' though whether you'd believe his word or not, it didn't really matter. After all, things would be different this time. With the new school year came a bright new cast of loveable and hateable characters to the battlefront.

Take the new first years as an example.

At the Tokyo Branch came the respectable Yu Haibara, Kento Nanami, Kiyotaka Ijichi, and yourself.

But at the Kyoto Branch came... a less respectable Naoya Zen'in, a Kamo, and one other clanless soul.

With all participants considered, Tokyo had one too many. So, Ijichi graciously volunteered to sit the games out. He didn't seem all too disappointed with that outcome.

"Y/n-chan~," Satoru cooed before you. Bent over, the boy held one hand in his pocket as his other hand bounced a few taps on your nose. After yesterday, you were surprised he was able to jump back to his happy go lucky self. You were barely able to recover from the sudden whiplash of it all.

"I can't believe this is your first school event! Excited? Nervous? You know if you get too scared you can come run into my arms, right? Or would you prefer if I valiantly sweep you off your feet?"

"S-Satoru..."

You tried to keep your composure around your classmates, but your bright red cheeks quickly gave you away. "I'm fine. We talked about this, I'm stronger now! There's nothing to worry about."

"Then why are my eyes telling me you're scared out of your mind?" He still wore a playful smile, but you could hear the glimpse of concern peer through his voice.

Brushing your hair to the side, Satoru rested his hand on your cheek. Though you tried to glance away, you knew you were delaying the inevitable. Satoru was always able to read you like a book, but he always knew just what to say. "You'll do great! I'm just more scared of what'll happen if you do too well."

That was certainly not what you were expecting. It seems you both were concerned about two different things!

As a soft sigh parted his lips, Satoru awkwardly scratched his head. "We did the whole exclusionary contract thing, sure. But some clans aren't exactly known for playing fair. If you're too good, you may make it worth the risk for them to try and snag you away from me. Though I have no doubt you'd say no, I'd be more at ease if you weren't put into those types of situations. And since we can't tell friend from foe, it's risky."

Noticing you've been shriveling up in your own thoughts, Satoru wrapped his arm around your waist. You both understood that the event wasn't the only thing plaguing your mind.

"Are you ok?" Satoru asked, eyes woefully meeting yours. You defensively looked away.

With your gaze fixed on a distant window, you responded. "Of course. They stopped the more difficult training a week ago to let me naturally heal up. I'm good. Great, even!"