c.33- The right woman

"For what? Being pretty and perfect wife?" Vera's right brow rose.

A smirk tugged at her lips. The way she expressed the confidence somehow annoyed the man across her.

"Don't be ridiculous. Uncle must have hated the way you handled his company's affair" Zane hissed.

There was no way his uncle favored it. Ezra was a tough and violent man.

He knew his uncle the best.

"Please. Being narrow minded has some limits. Don't you think it is too much?"

Tilting her head, Vera retorted. Causing the man's jaw to clench. "Don't tell me he did nothing to you for your decision?"

A scowl displayed across Zane's face in confusion. How was that feasible?!

"Yes. Didn't I tell you? He likes serene way" Holding the knife, Vera shrugged. "Calm? Is this a fucking joke?"

No matter how many times Vera convinced him Ezra was tender, Zane refused to listen. He could not accept it.

"You are the fucking joke. Going around and telling people he's the villain in your life while he is actually a very kind one"

Vera's brows began to pull each other. The smile had disappeared.

Vexation was hard to control if the other kept poking in the spot. "He is not!"

A shout echoed in the dining room at last. It had not been three minutes fully since they were left alone by the two, yet, the argument had broken out.

"Take a deep breath first. I am not here to debate with you about that"

The woman rolled her eyes.

"Debate or whatever. I am warning you. Uncle has a heart made out of stone. Run while you still can, Vera Charlene"

Zane alerted. Making the woman stare at him in dead silence. Run?

From the pool of rich? From Ezra? No, never! "Instead of worrying about me, why don't you concern about your wife?"

Vera grasped the opportunity. "I know both of us can see her intentions"

Crossing legs, she leaned back. "She just grabbed my husband with an excuse to change clothes. I wonder what she would be doing to my husband now"

Her words sent chills down to the man's spine. Anxiety ran within. She was right.

He could not avoid the fact that his wife had been overly concerned about Ezra.

He noticed how Isabella behaved differently around his uncle. It was easy to see through. He just decided to lie.

Lie to himself.

"Watch your mouth. I chose the right woman. She would never stab my back"

The confidence might display in Zane's gaze. Howbeit, his voice was crackling.

Tickling the woman entirely. "Right woman? Zane Kingston, I really thought you were a smart one. But come on!"

A laughter escaped between her lips. "You are insane. Tsk" Acting like he was pissed off, Zane stood up from seat.

"Where are you going? Checking your wife perhaps? Are you frightened now?"

As the man's steps furthered, Vera threw queries to pierce his heart. "For fuck's sake, will you shut up?!" Again, he yells.

Eyes glaring down back at the woman. It felt like a bullet in the middle of target.

She guessed the situation accurately. He really was attempting to check Isabella.