Chapter 47

On New Years Eve the pros excorted us home for a night and my mother had us cleaning and helping her cook the day away. She hardly spoke with us beyond talking about the food and yelling at us so I snuck away to hang around my pops in his room.

His office was a little den with a work place and a little area to relax. My dad sat in silence reading a small book. He notices me as soon as I step through the door and marks his spot before closing the book quickly and looking at.

"Weird being home isn't it?" he asks causing me to nod and sit in his office chair.

"It is but it's also oddly soothing."

"That's good to hear." My dad sit's up and lowers his glasses over his eyes. "I'm just so proud of you two. Ever since you were little you gushed about being heroes and now that you're doing it it's almost surreal."

I nod and sigh heavily. "Did you always wanna do fashion?" I ask rubbing my hands against each other.

"I originally went to school for marketing but I met your mom and she opened me up to something else I'd enjoy more." I nod and stare down at my hands.

I'm more like my father than my mom. She tends to be forceful and loud while my dad goes with the flow and speaks quietly. I like being around him more because of that.

~*~

It took a ton of work and recommendations but my favorite pro hero for the past five years finally accepted my work study. Mirko originally wasn't taking work study applications but apparently last minute she became an official option and when I heard that I asked Fat gum, and Edgeshot, to email and speak to her. After Todoroki offered up a work study with his father I instead requested he tell Endevear to tell her about me.

Mirko has a record of having the least sidekicks at her agency for those in the top 10 so her building was smaller than most's. I sit my hand in my pocket and approach the reception desk.

The lobby was vast and wide. I get my provisional license out and slide it forward. "Bakugou Killia, a work study student."

"Rumi's in the training center. Just go down that hallway." I nod and walk away from the kind faced receptionist to find Mirko in a gym beating the rice out of a punching bag.

She doesn't look like she even noticed me much so after some seconds I speak up. "I'm Bakugou Killia, your work study student..." she pauses before continuing each hit looks more brutal as she progresses.

"I know who you are. Lotta people talking about you." Rumi says. I stand behind her punching bag to hold it in place but I start to move back with it. Each strike shakes me completely.

"I just called on a couple favors."

"You could've chosen something else so why here?" I was a valid question plenty of heroes have work study programs.

"Going here was the only place I'd actually improve." I sputter out.

She kicks it so hard that both I and the punching bag fly back. It lands on top of torso and I push it off then look up at her.

"I don't need you here so you need to put in the work." She puts her hand out to me and I nod while excepting her hand.

"In a little I'm going on patrol change and I'll see you then. "

~*~

Mirko hops and jumps from building to building ahead of me with a pace I couldn't keep up with fully. I've been with her all morning so I'm used to her never getting tired and always being pretty active.

When she patrols she starts on her roof and jumps around the city before dropping for a short walk through a red light district. She uses a line up of buildings to start her next leaps to a new area where she eventually breaks to eat at one of her favorite restaurants. She goes through this cycle multiple times per day minus the food stop.

She finally crashes down into the middle of the road before popping back to her feet and walking away. I slide down a building onto a sidewalk less than a couple seconds later panting. I knew she was already grabbing lunch so I hustled into the small sandwich shop and stood next to her.

"Finally... If you can't keep up I'm done taking you with me. I tried to let you acclimated but I won't baby you. " She stares at the menu.

"Fine, but give me some time. I gotta talk to someone about my suit."

"Don't... Tomorrow train to get better at holding the weight. Train till you can barely walk then go to Recovery Girl and heal the tears in your muscles. Every time you train go to her directly after you'll achieve gains faster." I nod and slightly roll my eyes because I still wanna see if my gear can get any lighter.

"I'm sending you back to school tomorrow. If you still show up you'll be in the training room." She asserts with crossed arms still not looking at me.

"You're not serious. I can't just cut out days of training with you." I replied looking at the side of her head as she slowly turns to face me.

"I am. When you come back if you can't keep up I'm sticking you with the sidekicks. Impress me in the days you return."

"How haven't I impressed you at all already." I question as we get closer to the front of the line to order.

"You're an impressive kid but if you aren't better than when you started I won't waste my time with you. I didn't accept you because I needed some kid to worry about. I expect the best." I stare at her and digest her words slowly.

I sigh heavily and look away. "Order more, you'll need it, lightweight." she laughs and the worker in front of us puts in her order without Mirko having to say anything.

After we leave I get ready for the much slower way home. She tends to go slower for a little while after she eats but not for more than twenty minutes. I huff and prepare for her to take off but she simply stands up straight while rolling her eyes. "What do you want, bird man?"

A couple seconds later pro hero Hawks lands behind us and a breeze washes over us both. "I bare a gift!" He announced holding a smallish book. " Is that a work study kid? Little new for you Rumi! Thanks for taking my advice."

"She had an armata going after me. They talked her up well but I don't know if she holds up. " Mirko crosses her arms and taps her cute little feet against the concrete. "Killia say hi."

I wave and she sighs at me heavily.

"Impressive, Sports Festival winner right? Heard about you from others, you're the talk of the town." I nod and raise my eyebrows and Mirko sighs.

"What happened to drinks on Saturday?" she asked with her arms still crossed.

"I'm sorry, got caught up with something." he scratches the back of his head with a nervous smile.

"You better have one hell of a gift. "

"Not so much, but I'll make it up to you. But this book is quite the catch highlighted some parts for you. if you don't have the time pay more attention to the second part." she rolls her eyes.

" I'll take it but I don't read... "

"Just when you have time. Please read up at least the second part. "

" Yeah, yeah..." she replied tucking it away. "We gotta go, I'll let you know my thoughts I guess." She pops up.