Chapter 48

Talking to Hatsume was exhausting but she said she could probably drop more than 20 lbs from my gear by the time break ends. We ended up being two of a few students still on campus. After that I immediately followed Mirko's instructions. I followed her average workout but by the time I was finished I was already stumbling to Recovery Girl's for a forehead kiss and head pat.

I felt fine enough to repeat it and she looked upset to see me again but she healed me anyway and I tiredly drone back to the dorms.

The process repeats until I show up at Mirko's. I don't know if I felt stronger or faster but I wasn't giving up on this work study. Not anytime soon at least. I walk through the busy lobby. Mirko directed her sidekicks to handle projects without her more often than not and delegated tasks she didn't want to look at herself between them.

When I put on my hero suit, I was shocked. I never realized how heavy my leg gear was. A wave of relief washed over me as I make it to the roof where Mirko remained. She jumps in place excitedly with a smirk.

"I think I approached training you wrong. I've hardly seen what exactly you're capable of. Tell me..."

"I have been working on the output of my explosions to be able to concentrate them to cause less destruction and my mobility since you think I'm slow. Occasionally my explosions are big enough to injure my bones and I tend to not be cautious enough when entering battle scenarios. When it's cold I tend to sweat less which means weaker explosions."

"Good to know. So I fear in the days before now I wasn't taking you seriously enough. From now on I'm not holding anything back and I will make you my temporary little protege. " She pats my head with a large smile and I resist the blood rushing to my cheeks while hiding my smile beneath my collar.

"As far as hero work. In the field we deal with rescue, evacuation and of course combat. I'm sure you've trained in controlled conditions before but here its life or death. If you're not even fast enough to keep up today you're not fast enough to save anyone. I tend to focus on the combat bits and allow my sidekicks to handle the other two. I know you have experience with all three. I've heard about Hosu and the Mafia from Fat Gum and Edgeshot but for a little while I'm pushing you to the limits of your physicality." She got up and took off without a word.

She didn't even glance back. She doesn't even need to prepare or gain her footing to move at her best abilities.

I watch her paw graze a building window and push off while only touching it for a fraction of a second. I choose not to use a building to propell me because it's more likely to actually slow me down. With no hesitation she turns her heel and redirects herself off our usual course. A second later I hear a chaotic boom in that direction.

I push my left hand out and push myself with my explosions to follow her. I roll to land on my feet but by the time I landed she had already scrabbled the villain's brain.

"Mirko, there's a runaway slightly off from Burberry. Sorry he took advantage of our teams." A sudekick speaks through her headset She picks up the incompatiated villain and smiles at the civilians in the area and a fraction of a second later she's already moving.

"Damnit," I whisper beneath my breath getting up and following Mirko's lead.

She's ridiculously faster than me and she's hardly even tired but we weren't even 20 minutes into our usual patrol. I was panting out of my mind as I slid to a stop and watched Mirko apprehend another.

She takes them both off to her sidekicks a couple blocks away and continues her patrol by the time I even land.

~*~

When I arrived at her favorite sandwich spot she was sitting in her usual booth drinking out of a large cup and relaxing on her phone. I remain outside staring through the window as I lean over and pant. I didn't realize how much she was holding back the day before.

I walk in trying to be as nonchalant as possible but she instantly points and laughs at me. "Took you long enough. You're not serious about that attempt are you?"

"Are you actually insane? You goddamn left me."

"You're extra sassy today, huh?!"

"More like fucking annoyed! You think that training?!"

"Let's grab lunch... We gotta talk." She orders me to sit down and orders for me.

She sits back down and we eat together. "Here's the thing." she states between smacks of her meals. "You're too hesitant, I thought you were supposed to be cocky."

"More or less." she nods and sits with crossed legs beneath the table.

"Everyone of your movements exists between pauses and there's nothing you can do quickly if you can concentrate your explosions and prepell yourself without being hesitant. Stop acting scared."

"I'm not scared!"

"You are! You're delusional if you think you're the same kid who swore they'd win the sport festival and came out on top without hesitation?" She says shrugging her shoulders. A second later her fist is hurling toward my face.

I instinctively force my neck to bend backwards so my face can avoid harm and stare at her intently. "What the hell?!"

"Instincts." she smirks and picks up her sandwich again. "Move like your life is in danger." I nod briefly and sigh.

Where has my confidence gone.