Chapter 53

Mirko is barely conscious, her eyes are open but I don't think she's paying attention to the world around her. She's not speaking either.

I stand slowly and hear the call of Nomu in the distance. I stand Mirko so she can lay close to a wall and pick up a large piece of rubble to hide her body before walking to what very well could be my death. I had to take a bet at how many nomu I could take. Probably not that many but It was better to try I guess.

I spot a couple and let out a soft chuckle. "You fuckers are dead!" I announced charging up an explosion that blows a hole through one's chest. Most of my body felt entirely numb including my legs. I wasn't completely sure how I was standing and I refused to look down at their physical state. I know it's bad. I'm covered in blood and little of it isn't mine.

My arm flies back as I dash forward.

~*~

I couldn't tell how long it had been but after a while there weren't too many left near me. I sit up and wipe my forehead. I felt awful but at the same time I was still alive.

It was strange that I felt like my bones were crumbling and I could barely hold myself up at this point but again, I had survived. It's sudden but my body locks and pain shoots into my side.

I hold my stomach as I cough heavily. I pant and looked down. Despite nothing had hit me but a stabbing pain still resides in my sternum. I hobble to Mirko and pick up her conscious body.

As I slowed down I was finally starting to feel the pain in my body and maybe this was a factor. Katsuki...

An irrational amount of worry fell into my chest and dragged down into my stomach. This dread made tears brim eyes.

What's happening to me? Katsuki please don't let it be you... Tell me this is just my own pain catching up with me. Tell me I'm cold because of the breeze.

As I think a nomu sends a sharp ligement toward my face. I dodge it and drop low enough to place Mirko down without hurting her to grab the side of the nomu's head and crash it into the concrete floor. I slide his face into the rubble and progress to the next one.

I use my explosions to spin my body rapidly so the force of my kick is strong enough to knock his head off. Another grabs my head in a threatening grip behind me and I pull my head away causing its fingers to drag and break into my skin.

I struggle to reach back but a nomu gets ahead of me toward Mirko. My forearms burn but I still ready the next explosion by bracing my left arm with my right and charging up an explosion that incinerates his back and at the very least makes him pause.

"Alright fucker." I spin my body to swing my left fist into the nomu's face and grab the others hair while it tries to get distance.

I slam it into the other and rocket my leg into its body before the last one near me punches me into the floor. I chuckle and lean forward. The crater my body created was ignored by me as I stared at the blood I wiped from my forehead.

I was on the edge of death too often not to enjoy it.

I was lightheaded but that only fueled my smile. As a nomu dashes to me I reach out and let out a huge explosion to counter his fist. It bites into my hand and as a result I blow its brains sky high. I pull myself back up to a standing position before being slammed back into the ground.

After being slammed again I spin my body so my arms and hands trap his arm and neck. He is stuck for some seconds before he picks me up to slam my entire body down.

A bang echoes followed by falling rubble as my explosions burn the nomu's head enough for it to release me. I fall to my back and spit out blood to my side.

I kick it's back so hard that my metal boots shatter at the shin and it wabbles and crumbles to the floor. It doesn't give up.

The nomu sends its sharp limbs toward me but I'm able to dodge and burn him to hell.

Once I'm sure it's dead I fall into a sit and look at the nomu approaching. I'm taking a second to regain my energy. One of the Nomu had left heavy cuts to my body and the one with the trunk had slammed me down hard enough to break a rib.

I avoid them enough to not be too hurt at least I couldn't feel it. My adrenaline pumps so hard that I could hardly feel a thing at all just excitement that I managed to survive and move as quickly as I did. My legs felt almost completely numb and it was hard to keep balanced at first. the metal covering my legs looked crushed and crippled but at this rate it was keeping me stable enough to walk.