Here we go

Time skip. January 2010.

All of my brothers and siblings were here at home, scattered throughout the living room as the fireplace crackled, warming the room up.

Kelley, Ali, Christen and I along with all our friends graduated Stanford University, and we put our names down for the 2010 WPS Draft. Some of us went semi-pro last year when we played with the Pali Blues in the USL W-League while still at Stanford.

Jeff left Stanford midway through 2008, and his band took off from there. He went on tour around the country, now he's currently in Europe touring as we speak. We're still going strong, and I haven't even told any of my family members yet either, which is mainly due to how overprotective my brothers get. I've seen it with my sisters firsthand, so I figured I'll keep it quiet so I don't have to go through that.

Also, Christen supposedly has hooked up with Tobin Heath, according to Jamie. But I'm not sure if I believe it or not, it could be Jamie stirring the pot for a laugh. If they did, then good on them.

I'm still getting teased about Alex Morgan too. The two of us have become friends over the past 3-4 years and we get on quite well. She's got a boyfriend too, and that should've stopped the girls from teasing me, but it didn't. However, I'll admit they're right about their teasing though, since I have been kind of thinking about Alex in a romantic way, you know, us two dating, wondering what it'd be like to kiss her and whatnot.

I made my choice about the National Team situation too. I chose to play for the US Women's National Team, and that U-20 World Cup training camp was insane and brutal. The amount of training and exercises they put you through is crazy, but it ain't that bad for me. I remember Alex asking how I wasn't tired or hurting yet, and I said, 'This is child's play. My dad's submission holds are worse'.

The draft tonight is taking place in Philadelphia, but I didn't go to the actual event. So they've got like, these cameras set up here in Calgary in our home, facing all of us as well as some other people to take photos. It really creeps me out, and none of my family members like it, but mom and my sisters are being nice to them.

We watched as they went through all the introductions, and then it started. "Here we go," Ken said, patting my shoulders.

"With the first pick of the first round of the 2010 WPS draft. Atlanta Beat select Tobin Heath from the University of North Carolina. Boston Breakers, you're now on the clock."

They shown Tobin on the camera since she's there and I smiled. To make the first round pick, that's impressive. After a minute, the commissioner came back up on the stage and they announced that the Boston Breakers picked Lauren Cheney. Then it was time for FC Gold Pride to make their pick.

I seriously hoped I get drafted onto that team, or one that's closer to home. But I better not get my hopes up, since I'm not sure what draft pick I am.

The commissioner walked back up on the stage again, announcing FC Gold Pride's pick. "With the third pick of the first round of the 2010 WPS draft. FC Gold Pride selects Kelley O'Hara from Stanford University."

My eyes went wide for a moment and I felt a surge of happiness. If I get drafted by them, Kelley and I will be teammates again. "Jesus Ellie, you're all excited over someone else getting drafted?" Brian asked and I nodded, my eyes still glued to the TV. Everyone else chuckled as we kept watching.

More and more draft picks were announced. Christen was drafted to the Chicago Red Stars, Sarah was off to the Oakland Stingers, Jamie was picked by San Diego Sun, and many more were announced.

I was getting very nervous, Ali got picked by FC Gold Pride and I wasn't picked by anyone. What if I go undrafted? What will happen?

Alice noticed my discomfort and came over, sitting next to me, wrapping her arm around me,"What's going on in that head of yours?"

"I'm worried I'm going to go undrafted."

"Hey, don't say that. You'll get picked. There's four rounds and they've not even finished the first round picks. You've got plenty of time." She says softly, and I felt myself relax.

"Shhhh, they're announcing another pick." Rick said, his eyes locked onto the TV.

"With the ninth pick of the first round of the 2010 WPS draft. Oakland Stingers select Ellie Taylor from Stanford University."

Everyone one of my brothers and sisters start cheering and clapping while the photographers took photos. I stared at the TV in shock, trying to process this.

I'm going to Oakland. FC Gold Pride's bitter rivals. Will this strain Kelley and Ali's relationship with me? It shouldn't, but what if it does? Oh god, why am I thinking like this.

I guess time will soon tell how my journey in Oakland will play out.