I've got 3 rules

February 2010.

I took a deep breath as I got out of my car and looked at the soccer stadium here in Oakland. Some big changes happened in the team after the draft last month. One of the 3 owners took full ownership of the team, and he promoted the Assistant Coach to Head Coach. I honestly have some concerns if this is somewhat of a recurring theme with the team, but it's my first year, so it should be good.

As I was walking into the stadium, I heard someone yelling from the car park. I turned around and saw Alex quickly walking towards with her gear, "Wait up!" She called out and I grinned.

Alex was drafted onto the team as well, so having her as a teammate will be a great asset to the team considering her whole college career and all. "Sorry, Servando came to mine last night and we had some fun."

"Fun in the bedroom? Jesus Christ." I said, and her face went bright red.

We both walked to the locker room and met our Head Coach, John Miller. He's a big, tall guy in his early 30's, like a big gentle giant. Sarah came over and gave me a huge hug, and I was happy to see her. "Teammates once again." She says cheerfully.

"Yep. Just a shame we don't have the others here."

Sarah nodded as we sat down at our respective cubbys, "True, that's just the way it goes, I guess."

John then asked for all of our attention, and he started speaking, "Okay, first practice of the preseason. First of all, I just want to say welcome to each and every one of you. We have a great group of players here, and I'm sure we can make this season a great one. For the rookies who got drafted by us, I've got 3 rules. 1. Be on time. 2. Pay attention. 3. Play like hell when I tell you to. Got it?"

We all nodded and he smiled and clapped his hands, "Good. Now, let's get out there and get some work done!"

We all got up and grabbed our stuff, before heading out onto the field. The field was just like the Oakland Coliseum, rugged and gritty. Seeing this place in person is completely different than seeing it on TV. We did some warm-up drills, before getting into some team drills. One of the new players, Maria Gordon, wasn't passing the ball at all during some small little team games. I remember she was like this when we'd play UCLA.

"Gordon! Quit holding!" Coach yelled out and she listened, which surprised the hell out of me considering her Coach at UCLA wouldn't tell her that.

While we kept practicing, in the corner of my eye I saw the owner of the team, Al Stevens, walk to the Coach. From what I've heard, he's a mean old bastard, but a good guy. His red hair that was slowly graying was slicked back, he had his trademark glasses on and was wearing a black leather jacket, and white slacks with black shoes. He's pretty much the villain of the league if you think about it since he tends to go against the rules by bending them slightly for his team.

He and Coach talked for a bit before he left, and John blew his whistle. "Alright! Gather up, everyone!" He called out and we all gathered around him, forming a circle.

"Okay, time for some scrimmage. We'll split into two teams, and I want to see some real competition. Patterson, you pick who your team is," He said to Kayla Patterson, one of the vets on the team, "and Michaels, you pick your team." He says to Denise Micheals, another vet.

Kayla and Denise both nodded and started picking players. I was lucky enough to get picked by Kayla, and when we got on the field, we started warming up and getting ready for the game. Alex was on the other team, and she gave me a nod before she ran off.

The game started and we were both playing really well. We were passing the ball around and playing great defense. Alex was their main striker, and she was giving us a hard time. She was fast, but I was shutting her down.