Commitment to Excellence

"We gotta go to work, 1 o'clock tomorrow! Everybody be on time!" Kayla said loudly in the locker room as half of us were leaving after our team meeting. She's the locker room leader, someone you want to follow.

John wants to come in a bit earlier than usual tomorrow since he's got some new drills and some tactics he wants us to go over. We all don't have an issue with it.

Alex caught up with me outside the locker room and we walked out together, just talking about our lives and some other stuff with a few jokes in between too. Just that laugh of hers is so damn infectious that I can't help but smile.

Every time I'm around her, I smile and get this warm, fuzzy feeling in my stomach. Sometimes when I see Servando and her together I get a bit jealous for some unknown reason. I mentally tell myself I don't have a crush on her, but in reality, I think I do have one.

*********

"Welp, this is unexpected news." I said to Jeff as I read the recent big news with the WPS.

He looked up at me, and stopped writing on his piece of paper, "What is?"

"FC Gold Pride has folded." I told him.

"Huh, shit. That's a shocker." He said, and then went back to writing a song on his piece of paper.

Ali unexpectedly sent me a message, and I knew it would be about the news of her team going under. "Hey. I know you've probably already heard about the team here, but there's rumors that Kelley may be heading to play for Oakland. "

I rubbed my forehead and quietly sighed. Is she really coming to Oakland? That may bring some slight issues to the team considering us two haven't resolved our animosity yet.

"What about you? " I texted back, changing the subject.

She responded back to me after a minute, "I don't know. "

We both kept texting back and forth for a while before I had to go training. All I could think about was how much the team dynamic would change if Kelley did join the team, and if we could actually speak to each other to sort everything out. Apparently she's not angry at me anymore from what I've heard, but if she wasn't, she would've told me by now.

Anyways, I shake the thought away and turn on the radio, letting it play as I continue my drive towards the stadium, the window down as the cold breeze hits my face and makes my ponytail flow.

Eventually I arrived. I reached over in the back and grabbed my gear and got out of my car, locking it. I looked up and saw Alex walking towards me, and I felt my cheeks warming up.

"Hey, did you hear the news earlier?" She asked me as I put my keys in my bag.

"Yeah, I did." I say, a little bit bluntly.

Alex must've instantly known what was up with me, since she always gives me this slightly concerned look. "It's Kelley, ain't it?" She said, "You've heard the rumors of her coming to join us and since you two haven't spoken and resolved your issues, you're nervous?"

I just kept walking and didn't say a word, hoping Alex would take the hint that I didn't want to talk about it.

We both walked to the locker room in silence and when we walked in, everyone was going on and on about the news and who would join the team. I walked over to my cubby and put my bag down as I sat down. Kayla looked next to me and gave me a concerned look.

"What's up your nose? Relationship problems?"

I looked at her, and then looked back down, "Nope. Just trying not to think about, you know, the news about Gold Pride folding."