Every hero becomes a bore at last

I wiped my eyes as I walked in the door, still feeling a bit emotional after telling the team that I would be retiring from professional soccer. The news came as a shock to them, as they were hoping I'd be able to continue playing alongside them. But they were understanding and supportive, offering words of encouragement and promises to stay in touch.

I sat down on the couch, feeling a mix of relief and sadness. It was the end of an era, but also the beginning of a new chapter in my life. "I'll make some lunch," Alex said softly as she walked into the kitchen. I figured now would be the time to write a statement, so I grabbed my laptop that was sitting on the coffee table and sat down at the dining table. After waiting a minute for it to startup, I opened up Word and thought about how I'd type this out.

"We are never prepared for what we expect.

It is with deep regret and sadness that I officially announce that my career as a professional soccer player is over...forever. Due to the severity of my concussion I suffered months ago, my doctor has advised me that any physical return to the field would hold serious consequences for me. So, after great deliberation it has become clear that it is best for me, my family and my fans that I say goodbye.

I would like to thank every single person I ever played with, played against, and crossed paths with. I want to thank my loyal fans all around the world. I owe you all for what I am. Soccer has been my life since I was a little girl. I have been extremely fortunate in what I have achieved and what I have attained through soccer. It will always be in my blood. I sincerely hope that I can impart some of the lessons I have learned to those now involved and to those on the way up. I hope that by doing so, women's soccer will be a better sport for the people that make it happen. The players.

Every hero becomes a bore at last.

Thank you."

I read over what I had typed , feeling a mix of emotions as I reflected on my career and the impact it had on me. It wasn't the way I had envisioned it ending, but life rarely goes according to plan. After clicking "Save", I copied it all and pulled up my Instagram page. I found one photo of me back from 2016 after winning my first NWSL Championship, with my padded up fist in the air. "That's a good photo," Alex said as she walked over, passing me my plate of lunch. I smiled at her and nodded.

"Yeah, it's a good one," I replied, feeling a sense of nostalgia wash over me. I opened up the caption section and pasted my statement, taking a deep sigh before clicking on "Post". The progress bar filled up, and a moment later, the post was live for all to see.

Alex sat down next to me with her lunch and gently placed her hand on mine. "I'm proud of you, hon," she said softly, her voice filled with love and support. "I know it ain't easy, but you'll manage."

I smiled, feeling a sense of comfort and gratitude. "Yeah, I know I will. I've came back from worse setbacks, and I'll overcome this too," I replied, my voice filled with determination.

We sat in silence for a while, eating our lunch while I was reflecting on everything that had led me to this moment. It wasn't the ending I had imagined for my soccer career, but that's life for ya. It'll throw you a curve ball one day, and the next you're forced to reroute and find a new path. And who knows? Maybe this is just the beginning of a new journey. I might take a long vacation somewhere. Or I could do some charitable work. For now, I'm just going to focus on getting through these next few days before I decide on anything.

Later on in the afternoon, I checked my phone and saw more than a 100 notifications from both Instagram and Twitter. So many likes, comments, and tags were amongst all of them, and I went onto Twitter and saw the Los Angeles Stingers page put a post up with a photo of me on the field with the words "Thank you" underneath. The caption read, "Thank you, @ellietaylor41.