She ain't worth it

"Hang tight, full right. It's very strong to have." John told me as I got ready to be subbed in, "Hold down the fort on the backline, no matter what."

As I walked onto the field, the crowd was roaring. I knew that the game was almost over, and the score was tied at 2-2. I was the last substitute before we went into extra time, so I had to make sure I made the most of my time on the pitch.

John wanted me to hold down the fort, so I did as he said and kept my defensive line tight. My teammates were doing their job up front and in the midfield, trying to get a goal before the end of the game. As the clock was running down, I saw a chance to push up and make a run at the goal. I made it up to the halfway line and crossed over to the left side of the field. I saw Alex open up and I sent the ball over to her. She took a shot and it was blocked by the keeper, however, the rebound came back to me just outside of the box and I took a shot.

The ball went into the back of the net and we all started screaming. The referee blew the whistle and the game was over, we won 3-2. We all ran to the sideline and started celebrating as Alex and I hugged each other.

After every game we have, whether it's a win or a loss, we do the same thing. Go to the Hilton for drinks. It's like tradition if you think about it. The beers were flowing down nice, and we were all laughing, telling some funny stories, and all around having a good time. Well, all of us except one.

"Come on, Alex. Cheer up." Sarah said as she put her arm around her, "We won our game. It's a good thing."

Alex shrugged her shoulders and looked away, "I guess." She then stood up, "I'm gonna go for a walk."

When Alex left, I felt like I should follow her, and so I did. She's been acting a bit closed off recently whenever we're not on the field, and I had a massive gut feeling that it has something to do with Servando. I caught up to her and she was just standing on the edge of the sidewalk, looking down at the street.

"Hey, Alex. You okay?" I asked her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just needed some fresh air I guess." She said, but I knew she was lying.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I asked her, and she turned around to look at me, her eyes filled with tears. It broke my heart seeing her like that. She nodded and we started walking side by side.

"Things with Servando have gotten worse than what it was earlier, Ellie. I don't know what to do anymore." She said, and I could feel the pain in her voice. I pulled her into a hug and held her tight, patting her back as she let out a deep breath.

"You know," I said, "you don't have to stay with him if you don't want to. If you feel like it needs to end, and that it's the best thing for you, then do it. Don't stay with someone if it isn't making you happy."

Alex sighed and nodded, "I know." She said, pulling away from me and looking into my eyes, "Thanks for being here for me, Ellie. I really appreciate it."

I smiled and looked away, "Anytime."

We both smiled, and then we walked back to the Hilton. Alex wiped her eyes before we walked back in, so no one asked her if anything happened. The entire team saw us walking back towards them and instantly started asking questions, I told them everything was sorted and that there was nothing to worry about. They seemed to buy and went back to drinking.

After a few hours, I decided to walk home to my apartment, a different one than the one I had previously. Some of the locals recognized who I was and asked for some signatures, which I gladly gave. Meeting fans and seeing the big smiles on their faces is something that makes me happy, especially when you get young kids who look up to you. When I got home, I was feeling a bit emotional, thinking about Alex and her situation. I knew that she had to make a big decision, and I just hope she makes the right one for herself. I got into bed, turned off the light, and stared out the window for a few minutes before I heard a knock at my front door. Who the hell could be here at this hour?