Let's play like hell

"Are you blind!?!" Alex yelled at the ref after I was taken down. He didn't call the foul. Ali offered her hand and she helped me up. We both ram back to our positions and I went up to Kelley with an idea I've got. These Japanese players were playing extremely rough, I guess they're dead set on wiping us off the field.

"Kel, I got an idea." I asked her, wiping the sweat off my forehead with my arm.

"What is it?"

"Let's play like hell." I said, and she nodded, knowing what I was meaning. When we're on the field with the USWNT, Play like hell is our code word of 'Let's play like we do in Oakland.' I was determined to dish out some aggressiveness towards the Japanese players, plus that Autumn Wind video is still etched in my mind. When one of their players approached with the ball, I ran straight up to them and instantly took them down which the ref didn't see as I passed the ball to Christen, who passed it to Pinoe.

She charges as she storms the field,

A warrior, bold and strong.

Kelley ran right up on the left side and Pinoe passed the ball to her and from there, Kelley crossed the ball into the box as Christen ran in for a header, sending the ball back into the net.

And the fans all roar and shout and cheer,

As she takes the game head on.

The entire stadium erupted in cheers as I ran up to Christen and high five before running back to our positions for the reset. The whistle blew and Alex instantly gained possession, pressing ahead and running right through their midfield. She got taken down inside the box and the ref called the foul, earning us a penalty kick.

We all ran up to the penalty spot and Alex grabbed the ball, taking a deep breath before placing the ball onto the spot. She stepped back, closed her eyes and took a deep breath before taking her run up and shooting the ball into the bottom corner. The ball went in and once again, the entire stadium erupted in cheers. We all ran up to Alex and mobbed her before we quickly ran back to our positions. I looked around the stadium and saw everyone was on their feet, cheering for us. My eyes landed on Jenny, Dave, Rick, Ken, Alice, Mom and Dad. They were all clapping and cheering for us and it felt great to have their support.

It was now 2-1, and we were still in control. Once the whistle was blown, Christen had the ball. She was shadowing a midfielder, looking for the opportunity to poke the ball away. I made another run straight up the right side when I felt someone tug on my shirt. I looked behind me and it was a midfielder, and I managed to shake her off, making her fall flat on her face which made me smile.

She'll knock you 'round and take you down,

And laugh when she's conquered and won.

I called for a pass and she kicked the ball in my direction, I caught it and made my way down to the box as I could just hear Pinoe yell out to me, so I crossed it over to her. She received the ball and sinked it in the net, making the score 3-1.

They were quick to respond to that goal, and they managed to sink one in our net. I'd say it ain't nothing to worry about, but this is do or die. We ain't going out yet, not without a fight. More minutes passed, and it was back and forth at a few points. Fouls were being called, yellow cards occasionally pulled out as well. This was getting even more physical than what it was. But it wasn't at the Oakland vs. Portland level of physicality, those games actually do a number on me and a few others.

The time went by fast and now it was only 1 minute away from full time. It was now 5-3 and Japan were getting very eager for the ball, and I don't blame them even though the chances of them catching up is very slim. That 1 minute passed quickly and it was official. We won the World Cup. The stadium was going wild, and I just couldn't contain my joy. I ran up to Alex and Christen while everyone else was and we all mobbed each other, crying and hugging each other. We finally did it, we really did it. We won the World Cup and brought it home to the US. It was a surreal feeling, and I still can't believe it. We won, and we can now call ourselves World Champions. I ran up to my family and hugged each and every one of them, tears streaming down my face. I guess this is what they meant when they said it's an indescribable moment. It really is.