I guess I can't deny that one

It's been a week since the funeral, and 2 weeks since Jenny died. Just not having her here anymore is something I can't, and most likely will never get over. Despite what Alex told me, I made my return to the team after I had a talk with Rick and Brian. They knew the World Cup was nearly here and told me to return to the Stingers, make the World Cup roster, and win it all for Jenny. I took it all in, and decided that I'll win it, and the NWSL Championship all for her. Dave is in Kansas City at the moment, he left after the funeral in search for some answers. Back at home, everything isn't the same anymore. With my parents, a light went out within them. Ever since the funeral they haven't been the same and now I'm concerned something will happen to them considering their age, but I know that Georgia and Alice will take care of them, along with the boys.

Alex and I walked into the stadium for tonight's game against Seattle Reign. We held hands as we walked, not saying anything to each other. Eventually we reached the locker room and once I walked in, the people that were there went silent as they stared at me. I looked at them, not knowing what to say before Finau stood up and walked up to me. She pulled me into a big hug and patted my back before pulling away and sitting down. Kayla then did the same thing, as well as Madison, Kelley, Emily, Allie along with the training staff. No one said a word, and that was fine.

I sat down at my cubby, next to Allie, and took off my boots as I began changing and getting ready. The players who weren't here earlier started filtering in, giving me small smiles as they sat down and began changing. Lance came in, and started talking to us about today's strategy. During my absence the team has been struggling, out of the games I've missed, they've lost all of them, the score occasionally being 1-2 or 2-0.

I watched them back over the past few days and the problem sticks out like a sore thumb. The same modified 4-3-3 formation we've been running since way back when John was coaching us has become predictable and easy to break down. "Can we try out a new formation?" Kayla asked Lance, "We can't just keep playing the same formation over and over again."

Lance thought for a moment before shaking his head. "No. We need to stick to the same formation. We don't have too much time to change the whole thing. We just need to be better at it. I think if we focus on communication, and making sure everyone is on the same page, it will help us out."

"Here's the thing though," I said, "We've run this formation for so long, everyone knows what to expect. We need to switch it up and surprise our opponents. That's how we'll get the win."

"Ellie, with all due respect, I don't think you're in any position to be making decisions right now," Lance said, his tone slightly agitated.

"I'm not making decisions. I'm just giving my opinion. You know I'm right." I shot back, and I could tell Lance didn't like it by the change in his body language. "I think Ellie has a point," Allie chimed in before Lance could respond. "It's worth a shot. We can always switch back to the original formation if it doesn't work out."

"No!" Lance said, raising his voice. "We're not changing anything. You all need to just focus on playing the way I'm telling you to and nothing else." He looked around the room, his eyes daring anyone to oppose him. Hearing this outburst from him was completely out of character, and none of us were going to sit here and take it. I stood up, and so did Kayla, Madison, and Allie. We all stared at Lance, not saying anything, until Kayla opened her mouth. "Why have you got a hard on for this formation? Is it because you think it's the only one we can win with? Or is it because you can't come up with any other ideas and just run with the same old tactics from when the team was in Oakland?"

Lance's face went red and he clenched his fist, "That's enough." He said.

"No, it's not enough," I said, standing my ground. "We all deserve to have a say, and if you want us to win, you should be listening to us and our tactics. We need to switch things up, and if you can't come up with new tactics, then maybe you shouldn't be a head coach."