If they aren't fighting back enough, mug 'em

The drive into Calgary was really nice, I haven't been in the city for a while now, so it's good to be back. The radio was quiet, and I was trying to listen in since the sports news was on, "Can I turn this up?" I asked, and dad nodded. Mainly it was just all the recent results with basketball, hockey and other sports, but the next sports story actually caught my attention.

"The US Soccer Federation have recently announced that a new women's professional soccer league, to be named at a later date, with eight teams will be launching next year......"

Dad and I looked at each other with huge smiles on our faces. I couldn't believe it, a new league for us was starting up. We arrived at the shelter first and got out of the car, and I followed Dad inside. Besides being known for wrestling, and the patriarch of a wrestling dynasty, my dad is also well known for all of his charitable work. He's always believed in giving people second chances, and when I was a baby, if anyone needed a room to stay in for a night, he'd give them one.

We arrived at the Children's Hospital and we both got out of the car and headed inside. He went to speak with the staff while I spent the next few hours visiting with the kids and I told them about my gold medal and the match, and they were all so excited. I was glad to be a small part of making their day, and I was happy to bring a bit of joy into their lives. I had managed to bring some of my jerseys with me back to Calgary, and I signed them and gave them to the kids, and it was really amazing to see the smiles on their faces when they received the jerseys.

Before we left, there was a 1 year old in here battling cancer, and I went over to her room and there she was, laying there in her hospital bed. "Hi there." I said, and she looked up at me with her big blue eyes and smiled, and I couldn't help but smile back despite holding back some tears, "Hwurts" She said, and I nodded. "I know sweetheart, but you'll get better soon." I said, holding her small hand in mine. I looked around the room and saw a bunch of cards and letters. This little girl has so much support, and I was happy about that. I saw a teddy bear that was in the corner of the room and I picked it up and gave it to the little girl, and she hugged it tight. "Tank yu" She said, and I smiled, "You're welcome sweetheart."

I stayed with her for a while, making her giggle and laugh before I eventually said goodbye and gave her a hug. It was hard to leave, but I knew that she was in good hands and would get better soon. Dad was watching from outside and when I walked out of the room and slowly closed the door behind me, he put his arm around me and we both smiled. "You could make a good mother one day you know." He said, and I nodded as we walked out of the hospital and back to the car. "It's kind of hard to be a parent and a professional athlete at the same time, dad."

"That's what they all say," Dad said as he turned the key for the ignition, "Look at me and your mom. We raised 12 of you while I was wrestling, well, you came along right as I was slowing down. If we could do it, then all of you kids can do it."

You gotta love my dad for what he says to us kids, he's got a real soft side to him if you're able to see it, and you can see why everyone loves him. He does lots for the community.

We arrived at the shelter and it was a quick visit as dad donated a stack of cash and some food to them. I remember coming here as a kid and helping cook the meals in the kitchen for something to do when I was bored. Some of the homeless who are still here have been here since I was a kid, and they all light up with huge smiles when either I, or my dad walk in.

When we got home, dad wanted me in the basement, so I went downstairs with him. "C'mere, I want to show you a hold I've known for years." He said, walking onto the wrestling mat. I stretched my arms and stood in front of him.

Both of us locked up and that's when I let him lead on from there, "Push towards me," He said and I started pushing, "Now when you push hard I might take you on over, and the result is.."

I lowered myself on the ground slowly, since he's 75 and is becoming slightly hunched over now. Once I was on the ground, his position was on top of me, his right arm around my neck pushing my head down, "See, I want to keep you up here, with the weight on you here,"

"Oh yeah, I can feel that," I told him as I felt the pressure on my neck.

"Then, I'm up here sometimes," He continued, laying me on my back while still in his position, "This arm, I push it up here," He moves my right arm and lays on the ground, then he pushed on my head really hard, his chin on my forehead and I felt the pressure in my neck and my arm, which he was also pushing into the ground too. This was definitely a new one he's showing me, "Now you bring your arm up to pull my head back, once you do you that, I can move up here," Dad moves up onto his knees, rolling me on my side as his arm is wrapped over my left arm, behind my neck, and under my right arm. Then he gets on his side and pushes down on my neck, his free hand placed on my side.

"If they aren't fighting back enough, mug 'em."

He kept moving around while his arm was hooked, and he moved me up into a sitting position, "Move your arm here, and then do this." I moved my under his leg and he pushed down on top of me. I let out a few noises of pain as I kicked my legs as he folded me like a pretzel.

Eventually he stopped and I moved away from him. He gave me a smile and I was rubbing my neck, "See. Another one you can apply on someone."

I chuckled and stood up before grabbing his hand and helping him up to his feet. Even at my age now, him teaching all of this stuff is awesome, despite me not having any use for these holds. My dad is one of the best trainers in the industry, and we always have new people wanting to start by getting trained up here in Calgary.

For a 75 year old though, he's still got it.