Don't fall in

Kayla's POV

"How's the ankle?" Amber asked me as she walked out of the kitchen and into the living room, sitting down next to me on the sofa.

"Bloody marvellous," I said sarcastically, making Amber giggle, "that brace you gave me helps it alot."

Amber smiled and nodded, "Glad to hear it. Just don't go doing crazy shit otherwise you'll be back in the ER in no time." She said, a hint of worry laced in her voice.

"I promise no more attempts at replicating my childhood gymnastics moves, okay?" I rolled my eyes although there was no escaping the faint blush that bloomed across my cheeks.

Unfortunately, I've been sitting here at home resting my ankle. I was called up to go into camp before Kenneth made his final roster, which I was ultimately cut from. Was I devastated? A little bit. But at the same time I understood why. If I was him, I'd make the same call too. In the meantime, I've been watching the young ones on the Stingers step up whilst the majority of our starters were out playing with their respective national teams. Madison has been giving lots of shit about my ankle, and jokes that I should retire before it falls off. Also, our interim Head Coach, Steve, has turned the team around and we're slowly climbing up on the standings. It's already halfway through the season and we all are hoping we'll be able to win another NWSL Championship.

Al has been looking hard into potential coaches for the team and Denise's name has been thrown in for consideration since after she retired back at the start of 2015, she had earned her coaching licence, and he's hoping he can get her onboard.

"Hey, I gotta go. My shift at the hospital starts soon." Amber says as she stood up and grabbed her bag. "You stay put, and don't go and score another trip to the emergency room," she winked, before walking out the door.

I grinned and returned to watching the TV. I've been binge watching a lot of documentaries and shows recently on Netflix. I normally don't watch TV that much, but since I can't do much without the risk of hurting my ankle much, I figured now was the right time.

My phone went off and I looked at it to see a notification on Twitter, saying I was tagged in a photo. Curious to see what the photo was, I opened the app and saw it was a photo from the 2015 NWSL Championship Final of all of us Stingers players in a group photo after winning the title, our white jerseys covered with marks from the turf grass at Providence Park in Portland. I couldn't help but smile at the photo, seeing all of us with our arms around each other and smiling.

As I went onto my timeline, the Los Angeles Stingers account posted a tweet about Al, and I checked to see what it was about. My jaw nearly dropped as my eyes read the text.

The @soccerhof has its newest member:

Los Angeles Stingers Owner and General Manager, Al Stevens, has been elected to the National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2019.

I couldn't believe it. Al has been such a crucial figure in the success of the club and to see him being recognized in such a significant way was truly amazing. I quickly quote tweeted the post, and typed out the words of how I felt.

A man who built the Stingers in his own image and made something special and unforgettable. Congrats Al!

I hit the tweet button and sank back into the couch, a smile plastered on my face as I continued to watch the TV.

*******

Alex's POV. 3 weeks later.

"Still can't believe that you and Ellie did the deed in a janitor's closet," Julie said, shaking her head.