You're a Stinger, and Stingers don't give up

I heard machines beeping, my head pounding as I slowly opened my eyes, my vision blurry. My face felt extremely swollen and puffed up as I was blinded by the bright light above me, I felt someone holding my hand while I was figuring out where I am. I turned my head slightly and saw my mom, tears stained on her cheeks as she smiled. I tried to speak but my mouth hurt too much so I just looked up at her.

"Oh Kayla," She said, "I'm so sorry. I should have done something before he stomped on you. I should have been there to protect you from him doing this to you."

I shook my head, "D-do-don, a-po-po-po...gize," I said, my speech slurred and garbled due to the swelling.

My mom nodded and wiped her tears away, holding my hand tightly, "Thank you Kayla. Thank you for being so brave and standing up to him. You're an amazing daughter and I'm so proud of you."

"D-di-d co-ps get hi-m?" I managed to ask

"Yes, I called 911 and I got him with the pepper spray you gave me. Then I grabbed a pan and, you know, dinged him over the head." She said, "They arrived within minutes and took him away."

I smiled and the pain was unbearable. Mom must've recognized my discomfort as she quickly stood up, "I'll get the nurse," She said before quickly walking away.

I just laid there, my head pounding and my face swollen, but I felt at peace. I may have been hurt, but I stood up to him once again, and I don't regret it. He's being put away, and that's all that matters. A minute passed before the nurse walked in, followed by my mom.

"Hey Kayla, how are you feeling?" The nurse asked, her voice full of concern.

"T-ter-ter-erible," I said, my voice still slurred. The nurse nodded before walking around the bed and checking my vitals, and then she whispered something to my mom before walking out the room. My mom sat back down in the seat next to my bed, a look of hope written all over her face.

"D-d-do-does El-ie-e know?" I asked, my voice still slurred.

My mom nodded, "Yes, she does. Alex, Kelley and your whole team came to visit while you were out. Even your Coach and the owner of your team visited. They were really worried about you. They're still worried."

I nodded and sighed, thankful for my team, "T-they-ey a-are a-aw-aw-esome," I said, my voice still slurred.

My mom smiled and rubbed my arm, "They really are," She said, "Now get some rest, okay? You need all the rest you can get."

I nodded and closed my eyes, the pain slowly fading away. My team was there for me, and I know I can count on them to be there for me again if I ever need them. Hours later, I slowly opened my eyes to see a figure standing next to my bed. I blinked my eyes a few times and recognized the familiar face of Al, his glasses hanging on his shirt, his red, graying hair standing out in the room as his blue eyes stared down at me.

"Kayla, don't worry about the medical bills. I'm taking care of it," He said, his voice soft and gentle. "You won't give up, you'll recover from this. You're a Stinger, and Stingers don't give up."

********

Ellie's POV

Seeing Kayla in that hospital bed, her face all puffed up and swollen broke my heart. Here was one of my closest friends, who is always sticking up for everyone, now laying in a bed, her face unrecognizable. We didn't know what the full story was until her mom told us the whole story, and I wished I knew what was happening so I could help, but there's nothing I, or any of us can do now but be here for Kayla. John has been visiting regularly, and Al comes in at 10am everyday.