Chapter 33: Unraveling

Tyler

"Yo, whaddup Troye" I greeted Troye, pretending to be a 'gangstar'.

He chuckled at my hand gestures, shaking his head.

"Hello to you to, Tyler."

We walked out the gates. Surprisingly, the rainclouds had passed, leaving the sky a cerulean colour.

"So... what might you being doing on this fine evening?" I said, cutting straight to the chase.

Troye subtly sighed, pausing before speaking.

"My father wants to take me out" he replied.

I coughed, nearly choking on my spit. Where the hell does his father want to take him?

"Why? How do you know he ain't going to murder you?" I exclaimed after my coughing fit, earning some curious glances at my choice of words.

"I know he isn't going to. He told me what we're doing."

"And that is...?" I questioned. Suspicion and doubt clawed at my insides.

"I'm moving away" Troye muttered.

The words took a while to process, but once they did, I stopped walking.

"You aren't serious."

"Unfortunately I am" Troye turned and faced me, the usual but scary mask of nothing covering his face.

"Where are you going? Why? When are you moving?" Questions poured out of my mouth.

"I don't know where I'm going, it's only been a recent idea. Neither do I know why I'm going, but I won't be here for much longer."

"How much time until you leave?"

We were talking as if Troye was dying.

"By now, I've only got a week or so left" He admitted.

He turned on his heel and began walking again, causing me to follow.

A week?! He's leaving in one week?

Anger and frustration began to heat up in my veins, my brain bubbling in the emotions.

"No. He can't do that" I refused, my voice increasing in volume.

"It's too late."

"You shouldn't be under his care Troye. He treats you like a slave. He fucking abuses you."

I noticed Troye glance around when the last sentence left my lips.

"Don't raise your voice. I can't change my situation, I'm not legal yet. I have no other family that I could go to." Troye explained, eyes staring straight ahead.

"What about your mother?"

Troye's eyes closed a second too long.

"She left me years ago. I don't even know if she's still in this country" Troye said in a monotone voice.

His words resonated with me, reminding me of my own situation when I was younger.

"Can we please just stop talking about this?" Troye pleaded, his blue orbs flickering to me and catching my gaze.

I sighed, nodding glumly. The anger slowly fizzled out, being replaced by a breeze of helplessness.

We finally got to his street, and we separated with a small wave. Two steps forward and I glanced back, my heart dropping slightly when all I saw was his back.