Chapter 44: Moving Too Fast

Slight mention of anorexia.
Zoe POV

"Flick to the news right now" was the first thing I heard when I picked up the phone.

"Why? What's happening?" I responded as I picked the remote up.

"Tyler and Troye are on there" Louise babbled.

"What for? Being the first gay teenagers to date - oh." My words fizzled in my throat as I watched the aerial view of the highway flicker on the screen. Tyler's car on the right, crumpled against what must be Troye's car.

"Why?" I murmured.

---

"Jim, did you watch the news?"

"No, why?"

"Tyler and Troye were on it. They were in a car crash."

"What?!"

---

"Caspar, have you heard about Tyler and Troye?"

"Are they dating now?"

"No! They had a crash and are now hospitalised."

Silence. "I've got to go."

---

"Hi, I was wondering what room Tyler Oakley and Troye Mellet is in?" I asked the lady at the front desk. The others stood behind me, shuffling their feet anxiously.

"I'm sorry, we are not taking visitors for them at this time. You may check again tomorrow if you wish."

"Please?" I pleaded.

The lady just shook her head.

I nodded in defeat, turning around to face the others.

As we began to walk away, another lady pretty much ran up to the desk.

"Can I see Tyler Oakley today?" She panted and I stopped in my tracks.

"I'm afraid not mam."

The lady sighed, nodding slightly and walking away.

I thought quick and ran up to her, tapping on her shoulder. "Um, excuse me, are you Tyler's mum?"

She paused, staring at me. "Yes, are you his friends?" She glanced behind me, at the other three behind me. We all nodded.

It took her a second to process everything before she broke down. As quickly as the tears came they stopped. "I'm sorry I'm such a mess, it's just..." A few more tears trickled down her cheek.

"It's okay, we understand. Take a seat" I tried to comfort as I led her to a chair.

Fifteen minutes passed as she talked about everything that was going through her mind. We all waited patiently, me often rubbing her back when she was on the verge of a breakdown. I couldn't bear to think the things she must be going through as a single parent with no one to turn to bear us.

Eventually, she walked with us to the exit of the hospital and we parted ways.

Caspar was the only one to speak. "I didn't even know that Mellet was Troye's last name." It reminded all of us of how little we knew about the two of them, despite knowing Troye a few years back. Only mumbled farewells were exchanged as we also split up.

---

School was heartbreaking. Our usual group was void of the usual gayness, laughter and sexual tension. Two of my classes mentioned briefly about the missing students but that was all.

Everyone had lost their appetite, especially Caspar who didn't even bother getting food.

It was all so grim.

After school Louise and I tried the hospital. The receptionist told us only family, but tomorrow we could see both of them.

---

We visited Tyler first. A bandaged head and arm in a sling. An IV drip was connected to him and the heart monitor beeped slowly.

We all whispered how much we missed him, his obnoxious laugh and dirty jokes. Caspar had just finished when a doctor came in.

"I'm guessing you are his friends." We nodded. "I'll tell you the situation. He has a concussion and possible amnesia and a broken arm. He has a fractured wrist and badly bruised leg. We aren't sure when or if he will wake up but I hope it's soon." With that, he left.

I cried a little inside on the word if.

We then visited Troye.

He looked frail and vulnerable. He also had a bandage around his head and an IV drip, but also another tube. The heart beat monitor was going just slightly quicker.

The same doctor walked in from before.

"I'll give you the details for this patient. He has a concussion and possible brain damage but that is unlikely. He has bruising but also a fractured wrist and fingers. We also discovered he hasn't been eating properly and has anorexia. He will hopefully awake by the end of this week."

Then he left us alone again.

I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed him not eating. If I had been paying attention then I could have helped him. But I was blind. And now he his unconscious, concussed and injured while having to be supported on a drip. How was I so stupid?

After we said our prayers and pleas, we left. We all cried at least a little.

All we could do was prayer and hope they recover quickly, while dealing with this grief we had thrusted on our shoulders.

A/N

Boom. New chappie.
Filler but just to set the mood for the next one. ;).

How has your holidays been? How was Christmas and if you don't celebrate it how was/ is your December? If It was shit then for new years my wish shall be for it to be an amazing next year. Because you deserve it.

I'm currently reading Tokyo Ghoul, because I know I won't be able to stand that anime. So far it's pretty good.

Anyway, farewell for now. Under 6 chapters left I think. I've nearly written this for A YEAR. A year!!? Sheesh.

Bye for now!.
Jam.