watching him fade away - taekook

childhood friends non famous au taekook

---

seventeen years.

taehyung and jungkook have been inseparable for seventeen years. sleepovers, movie nights, bathtimes, laughing, crying, growing, learning - they did everything together.

for seventeen years.

until taehyung got accepted into art school in a different country. it had always been tae's dream, he'd worked so hard to achieve his goal - and now he's here, two days away from up and moving away from life as he knows it and never looking back. he is ecstatic - excited to leave his small town life in the past and become a big city boy who everyone knows. he has the talent, the charisma, and the looks. he will absolutely thrive in new york. jungkook isn't worried about taehyung.

he's worried about himself.

jungkook was always the more introverted of the pair. he followed tae around, never leaving his side. always being lead places, never being the leader. he was number two, and that worked for him. but without number one , there can't be a number two. because then he's just ... number one. for the first time.

and he realises that life will never ever be like it is now - ever again. no more meeting in the middle of the night to go to the store. no more riding the bus until they are kicked off. no more smoking in the park. no more picnics on the stage. no more getting drunk in the field. no more milkshakes. gummy bears. whipped cream. fish and chips.

gone are the days that he could just walk around the corner and collapse into his best friends arms. his rock. no more cuddles. sneaking kisses. taking each other's makeup off after a party. no cinema trips. tango ice blasts. dog walks. beach days ...

it hurts. it's the worst pain jungkook has ever felt. and every single day that goes by, a little piece of him breaks off. like every ounce of taehyung that he'd stolen and hidden within himself was being slowly killed off until they weren't two halves of the same person - but two entirely different people. for so long they had been "jungkook and tae"

they were the pair that made people belive in friendships. notorious for getting separated in class for taking too much. it's all over. and it will never be like this again.

and it's like having your heart ripped out of your chest. he's cried so many tears over this. it's probably the most he has ever cried over anything. and well, at least for the other things that he's cried about - tae was there. so it wasn't so bad. now he's all alone. tae has gone to make new friends and jungkook is left alone. in their tiny fucking village that has no personality. he's never felt so broken.

their last day together was the best and worst day of their lives. jungkook planned it meticulously, he filled with all of their favourite things to do together.

breakfast at ikea
trip to starbucks
blasting music in the field
rollerskating
watching a movie
sushi
getting matching teddies
nandos
spoons
chippy
and ending it in the park. laying on the grass and talking about life. and their future, and the past. it's so bittersweet. and after holding it together for so long, jungkook can't hold it anymore.

and he sobs. into taehyung's arms. he cries because this is truly the end. his parents have told him it's not but he's not stupid. he knows this is the end of the book.

and then taehyung is crying too. and it's the worst feeling ever. because neither of them are any good at goodbyes. neither says a word. they just cry. and they cry until they can't anymore. and then there's silence. and no one breaks it. not a word is spoken in at least 10 minutes. they look into each other's eyes at one point and just instantly look away. because it's just too painful.

and then when it comes time for the final goodbye, they both cry again.

but jungkook doesn't stop crying.

he cries at work, in bed, in the shower. he cries himself to sleep.

and it's made worse by taehyung's snapchat story. seeing him settling in and having a blast while jungkook has never felt so alone. it crushes him.

and as the weeks go by, tae starts to make friends.

and he watches them play stupid games, and go out for food, and watch movies and have sleepovers and cuddle and do all the things they used to and it just reminds jungkook that he's been left behind. while his best friend is just starting in life, it feels like jungkook's is just ending. and that feeling beats him up until he's too exhausted to fight back and just succumbs to the heartbreak. and then they go a day without messaging. then two - then a week. and all of a sudden, he hasn't spoken to taehyung in a month.

he wants to. of course he does. but what would he say? he's so out of the loop that the conversation isn't coming naturally for the first time in seventeen years, and that feeling just scares him away from getting in contact even more.

he just holds out for tae to be the one to message.

but he never does.

he didn't even wish him a happy birthday.

but still, every time his phone buzzes, he crosses his fingers and hopes that his hyung sends him even a one word message. any kind of contact will make all his pain melt away.

but it's now been a year.

and jungkook is too tired to keep on pretending.

and then in his head, he ends their friendship. and it kills him all over again. all the feelings from the year before come flooding back. he looks at their matching bears and his eyes fill with tears. if he could go back in time he would just put everything back go normal and forget this ever happened.

but

he can't.

and that's the end of jungkook and taehyung.

1015 words

1015 words.