Part XIV: Something Kind of Serious

XIV: Blake

Blake was snuggled up on the couch watching "Elf", wrapped in a blanket, sipping hot cocoa and wearing a Santa hat when her phone started buzzing.

Seeing Liam's face made her smile. Then she bit her lip, looking to her grandparents.

"Is it alright if I take this?"

"Of course!" her grandpa called, "We've all seen the movie a dozen times."

Her grandma smiled at him and rolled her eyes, then smiled at Blake, "Go on, dear. Kids like you should be together on the holidays. If you can't do that, the least you should do is talk."

Smiling, Blake rose from the couch, clutching the blankets around her with her elbows as she answered the phone.

"Hey."

"Hey! Bad time?"

"Not at all. Give me just a second to get comfy, though," she said, pushing open the door to her room.

"Okay."

Blake put down her mug and phone on her nightstand, then adjusted her pillows and wiggled around a bit as she curled up on her bed with the blankets, excited just to hear Liam's voice.

Once she was settled, she picked her mug back up and slipped in an earbud, then snuggled into her cozy nest even further.

"Okay, all comfy again."

"Good."

"Merry Christmas, Blake."

"Merry Christmas, Liam."

She bit her lip, "I wish I could be there with you."

Liam sighed, "Me, too."

"This isn't going to get any easier over the next month if we're barely holding out three days, is it?"

"Pretty sure we're just gonna be angsty puddles by the time we have to go back to school."

Blake giggled, "Eh, there are worse things that could happen. You're having a good time with your family, though?"

"Always. What about you? How are you holding up with the stuff with your mom?"

Blake sighed, "Bad. Not in an 'I'm super depressed' way or anything like that, but it's just...I think I'm getting in my own way."

"What do you mean?"

Blake glanced at the door, "Am I on speaker?"

Liam laughed, "I would tell you, don't worry."

Smiling, Blake took a sip of her cocoa before continuing, "Well, I did a show the other night, and I'm going to need to do them more frequently starting tomorrow, but I was panicking half the time because I was worried that if I was too loud, my grandparents would hear."

"Yeah, that would be pretty scarring."

"Exactly. So I was thinking of going over to my mom's, but..."

"Lots of emotions?"

"Yeah. I've only been there once since I've been back. When I was in my room, it was a bit better, but even then, once I didn't have anything to physically do, my mind started to wander and I just got so angry with her. I don't like feeling that way. Even about her."

Liam was silent for a while, then, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Blake smiled, "Just keep being wonderful? I think I have to do most of the work on this one, unfortunately."

"Well, maybe call me next time you go over there? I can distract you while you get everything set up at the very least."

"I'd like that. And, it helps with the whole, 'I miss you' thing."