Part LXI: Nowhere Near This Good

Liam

"Wow, that was amazing Liam."

"Seriously, I came over here with high expectations, but those noodles blew them out of the water. And this lemonade is fantastic."

Liam grinned at Tasha and Kiki as he took a sip of his own raspberry lemonade. It wasn't as tangy as he usually preferred it, but he'd been making it for other people and not just himself.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I mostly just helped with the food. Mom did most of it. I do miss having a full kitchen though."

Liam glanced over at his brother in time to see Kekoa roll his eyes.

"Is that why you didn't come home for Thanksgiving and left me to help with all the cooking? Blakes fully stocked kitchen?"

Tasha cackled at that, "What's the 'we have that at home' version of Blake?"

Liam shot Tasha a flat look, "You? Even more teasing, but no follow through?"

Kekoa nearly choked on his drink, and Liam reached over to slap him on the back, while Kiki laughed at that, cheeks red, and Tasha glared at him.

Liam had worried things might be a bit weird between him and Tasha after their conversation the other night, but if anything, they were even more comfortable with one another now that what they'd said was out in the open.

The brunette opened her mouth, sparkling eyes narrowed, then cocked her head and pressed her lips together for a moment before relaxing back in her chair.

"Actually, I think I'm okay with that. It's fun making you squirm. I'll make sure I get Blake's official stamp of approval when I get back."

Liam rolled his eyes tilting his head back against the chair as Kiki and Kekoa laughed, "Dear God, you two are going to torture me, aren't you?"

"Three."

Liam straightened, glancing over at Kiki, "Three?"

Kiki met his gaze with a Tasha-like grin, "Seems fun. I might as well join in. Especially since I'll probably also be a victim if I don't."

Tasha cackled at that, kicking her feet as she leaned back in the chair, and Liam glared at Kekoa when he glanced at his brother to find him snickering.

"So, how have things been for you at school?"

Kekoa snorted, "Not a chance. I guarantee neither of them care about anything that's going on in my school life. Honestly, compared with yours, I don't either."

"Actually, I have been meaning to ask you something, Liam."

Liam met Tasha's sparkling gaze, frowning at the concern in her voice, "What's up?"

She bit her lip for a moment, glancing at Kiki, then Kekoa before meeting his gaze again, "Are you doing alright? I realized I never asked you how the holidays are. I know you've seemed fine, but..."

Liam settled back in his chair and took a step of his lemonade before giving Tasha a half smile.

"I'm fine. It's still weird, but--" he gestured around to them, "hanging out with you all and the guys from high school helps."

Liam hesitated for a moment, chewing on his lower lip. He glanced at his friends, considering if he should go into anything with them. Kekoa already knew. He and Liam knew pretty much everything about one another.

Tasha and Kiki know almost as much by this point.

When the doorbell rang and the dog started barking, anything Liam had been about to say fell out of his head. Before he could get up to see who was at the door though, Kekoa was already out of his chair.