Part LI: Roast

Liam

Liam felt his phone buzz just before the knock at the door reached his ears, faint through the music playing from the other room, and the laughter in the kitchen.

"I've got that," he said, pulling out his phone to check the text as he let go of the pot handle and wooden spatula and looked to his friend, "Brian, Kekoa, you got this?"

Brian, one of Liam's friends from high school, a bigger guy with dark hair, glasses and a smile that always managed to put you at ease, who had lost a little weight recently, looked up over his station at the other burners, where he was Thing to separate skillets of steak and vegetables, while Kekoa just waved Liam away.

"Sure, we're almost done right? Just need to combine everything?"

"Just need to set everything out so everyone else can combine things," Kekoa corrected, eyes still on his homemade noodles.

"Yeah, come on, dumbass," Marco--one of Liam's other friends from high school--said in a sarcastic voice, "my food, my choice."

Brian rolled his eyes while Kekoa, Nalani, his sort of cousin, and Karlson, the last of the trio of Liam's friends from high school, all laughed.

"Oh, fuck off," Brian said, snapping his tongs at Marco.

Liam grinned as he walked over to the main room, and the front door, the knock sounding again. He glanced at his phone just enough to see the message from Tasha:

"We're here! Open up!"

Liam couldn't see them through the door unless he stood on his tip toes--something uncommon for him at 6'2"--but he'd been able to see Tasha's car out front through the window as he walked through the main room.

We?

Liam's question was answered when he opened up the door, and found not just tasha, but kiki and even matt standing at the door.

Before Liam could even fully take them in or greet them, Tasha skipped across the threshold and wrapped her arms around Liam, holding him tight.

"Happy New Year's Eve!" she said, squeezing him just a bit tighter and then holding on for a few more seconds before pulling back and grinning at him, "And why is this the first time that I'm finding out your uncle lives in Sherman Oaks? It only took me like 5 minutes to get here. I could probably walk here if I wanted to."

Liam rolled his eyes and shook his head, "Because I don't usually stay at my Uncle's."

When he stepped back enough to look Tasha up and down, he had the urge to roll his eyes again, though he should have expected it, since this was Tasha.

Tasha had her shiny dark hair down in waves, and the usual amount of makeup on that made her eyes pop and drew attention to them and her lips. Liam supposed he was to blame for her top, as he told her that there was a pool, so if she'd worn a loose, white, low cut crop top where the purple triangles of her bikini top were visible. Liam was entirely sure that the combination of white low rise genes and high cut bikini bottoms with straps that rose out above the jeans and over her hips had been completely on purpose.

"Are you trying to give my friends heart attacks?" Liam asked, with a raised eyebrow, "Or boners?"

Behind her, Matt, in jeans and a plane dark green T-shirt, went bright red, and Kiki, wearing cut offs that showed off her legs and a crop top that showed off her abs, just laughed.

Tasha just held his gaze and shrugged, "Boners, heart attacks... Same thing."

Liam rolled his eyes, but gave Tasha another hug.