KABANATA 04

Kabanata 04

The fourth tick

I reached for the door handle, "Kuya, I'll iwan my school stuff and bag nalang dito — just lend it to Mommy." nakangiting sabi ko.

He nodded his head, "Sige, Ma'am." and glanced at me. "Text na lang kayo kapag nagbago isip niyo at gusto niyong magpasundo."

"Hmm!" I answered before going out of our car.

The sun was already setting when I took a step inside the café; the sky was a mix of violet and pink, making the place look even better because of the reflection and lights.

"Good Morning, Ma'am... What's your order?" The barista asked to me when I went to their counter.

I took my wallet out, "Iced matcha latte with three pumps of mocha sub breve..." I answered before giving him a five hundred peso bill.

"Iced matcha latte with three pumps of mocha sub breve..." He repeated it while typing my order on the screen. His eyes met mine, "Venti na po ba?" tanong niya for the size ng cup.

"Grande lang for me." I answered, asking for a smaller one.

He nodded his head, "Anything else you would like to add?" nakangiti niyang tanong.

"One belgium slice and..." I roved my eyes over their displayed breads. I smiled at him. "One cranberry white choco na rin."

He started typing on the screen again, "One belguim slice... And one cranberry white choco.parts" he said, repeating my order once again.

I nodded my head in response.

"The total is three hundred eighty-six pesos, Ma'am." He checked the paper bill I gave him, "I received five hundred pesos..." sabi niya habang kumukuha ng panukli.

He pushed the box containing different bills and lent me my remaining money along with the receipt. "Your change po is one hundred fourteen pesos." He placed the money on my hands one by one. "One... Ten... Four..."

He reached for an empty grande cup and a pen clipped to his apron. "May I know your name, Ma'am?"

"Amber." I answered, while putting my change in the donation box.

He smiled at me when I did that, "Thank you, Ma'am. I'll just call your name for your order po."

My eyes went directly to the door when students from his school started walking in. I was watching and waiting for his face to show up as I took a seat beside the glass wall, for me to see if he was malapit or papunta na. I placed both of my elbows on the table and rested my head there, still waiting sakanya to get out of his school.

"Miss Amber!" My eyes blinked when someone called my name. I immediately stood up and made my way sa counter and kay kuya barista.

"Thank you." I whispered before walking back to my designated table, with the tray I'm carrying na may mga orders ko.

I took a sip of my coffee while checking the time on my phone. Binaba ko ang cup, "Relax, Amber... " and tapped both of my cheeks. "Maybe he went to the comfort room lang? Or..." With my two palms, I slowly massaged my cheeks in a circular motion. "One of his professors talked to him... Something like that?"

My eyes went back to my phone again, checking the time when it added a minute to it. "Kairos wouldn't ditch you naman..." I nodded my head repeatedly. "He's kinakabahan lang siguro."

Slowly, I started eating the slices of cake and bread piece by piece with those thoughts in mind. I tried my best na maging positive, even with the moon slowly appearing in the sky.