KABANATA 17

Kabanata 17

The seventeenth tick

I smiled at him. "You think so?"

He nodded his head. "I believe so..." Umiwas siya ng tingin at sinimulang ipaliwang sa'kin ang mga hindi ko maintindihan. We spent the next hours, discussing and listening to my subjects. He even came up with different cases that weren't listed in the book too, which helps me a lot to understand them better.

My head went to the door when I heard the sound of an engine, probably coming from Kuya's car. I stood up and ran towards it. Binuksan ko 'yon, pero halos tangayin ang katawan ko nang bumungad sa'kin ang malakas na hangin.

My feet, with a mind of their own, took a step backward because of the force. Bago pa man ako makaatras muli, ay bumunggo ang likod ko sa matigas na bagay. I gulped, realizing that it was his chest. Nang lingunin ko siya, ang tingin niya ay nakina Mommy na yakap ang sarili dahil sa paparating na bagyo, at kay Kuya na dala-dala ang maraming plastic bag sa dalawang kamay niya.

Kairos held my arm and pulled me to the other side of the door, the one I hadn't opened. I peered at him from behind the wood when he went out. Kinuha niya ang mga plastic bag na bitbit ni Kuya, habang si Kuya naman ay bumalik sa kotse niya para kunin ang natira at nang mai-lock 'yon.

Mommy wiggled when she took a step inside our house. "So cold..." A smile formed on her lips when she saw me. Pinadaan niya muna sina Kairos bago ako hilahin pabalik sa sala namin. "How did it go?" She giggled and pulled me to sit on our couch. "I bought a lot and made your kuya push the cart, kaya natagalan kami."

My eyes blinked. "He tutored me lang naman, Mommy."

She pouted. "No cuddles?"

My eyes widened. "Mommy?!" I glanced at them, who were busy putting all the plastic bags on the table, "Why would we even cuddle!" pabulong na sigaw ko.

Her head tilted. "Kayo lang yung nandito, eh?" She pointed to the door, which Kuya went to close, "And malamig yung weather?" dagdag niya.

I shook my head. "Mommy! No!" My cheeks started burning. "W-We just studied... He teaches me, and I listen to him lang, okay?" Nahihiyang bulong ko. I bit my lip and carefully watched Kairos, who sat on the single chair. Kaagad napunta ang tingin ko kay Kuya na umupo ulit sa dati niyang pwesto nang tignan niya rin ako pabalik.

Hinila ko si Mommy patayo at papunta sa kusina kung nasaan silang dalawa kanina. I turned my back at them, and faced her. "Mommy... Am I blushing? Like, super-duper blush?" I asked, while fanning myself with my own hands.

She nodded her head. Tumagos ang tingin niya sa likod ko, pero kaagad niya ring nilihis 'yon nang natataranta. "He's looking ulit!"

My eyes widened. I straightened my back and opened one of the plastic bags. "Let's arrange these nalang, Mommy?" I asked, pertaining to their groceries, before taking two trays of eggs.

She gave a thumbs-up. "Great timing... Makikita ni Kairos na matulungin ka, Baby!" She giggled before opening another bag, too.

I pursed my lips, preventing my smile from escaping, as I took all of our containers out of the refrigerator, one by one, and placed them on the table. Sinimulan kong ilagay ang mga pagkain do'n, habang si Mommy naman ay abala sa paglalagay ng iba pa sa mga cabinets namin.

Nauna akong matapos kaysa sakanya. So, I helped her nalang din to put the remaining boxes sa upper shelves. Even with my 5'7 height, I was already on my tiptoes, as I tried to put the box of cereal sa pinakamataas na section ng cabinet.

I was about to jump, for me to push the kariton nalang, but someone held it and placed the box neatly. His calloused palm brushed against the back of my soft hand. Because of that, I felt an electric wave crawling from my feet up to my nape.