KABANATA 49

Kabanata 49

The forty-ninth tick

"You shouldn't spend your entire life trying to heal me." He shook his head and made our fingers intertwine with each other. "And I shouldn't spend my entire life trying to depend on your comfort."

I know that... But he can't blame me — nagmahal lang ako noon. I just want the best for him. And because of that... I expected something worthwhile for the both of us.

I scoffed, "B-But that's why we're in a relationship! W-We should be there for each other — no matter what." mapait kong sagot.

It was supposed to be us against the world. It was supposed to be the captain and me; even he was against his own mentality — that's what I first believed.

"Hmm... It should be us together..." He said, like he could read what I was thinking. "But ours wasn't just some simple problem, Amber." binatawan niya ang mga kamay ko at marahang pinunasan ang mga mata kong hindi pa rin tumitigil sa pag-iyak. "I'm becoming worse and worse; I'm turning into a monster."

I squinted my eyes. "Stop saying that. I-It's hurting me."

He smiled and flicked his finger on my forehead. "That's the truth."

Umiling ako at sinampal ang kamay niya papalayo. "No."

He was never a monster. There may be times that I'm nervous when I'm with him, but that's all. Nangingibabaw pa rin ang kagustuhan kong lapitan siya.

"I-I almost killed a persona in me... They almost killed each other." He licked his lips and let out a heavy sighed. "I was ready to put myself in my own deathbed because of my love for you, Amber. I-It was too tiring and frightening... They wanted to have you so badly." Pumikit siya nang mariin, "And that... That made me even more sick. I'm slowly turning obsessive without you knowing — even me — them." namamamaos ang boses niya matapos aminin yon.

I couldn't help but look at him in awe when his body trembled a bit. "A-Ace..."

"Mas lalo nilang pinag-aaway ang mga katauhan ko. Mas lalo nilang ginugulo ang nasa isip ko." Nag-iwas siya nang tingin, "So, I left..." puno nang hiya niyang sinabi.

He licked his lips and let out a heavy sigh before looking back at me. "Remember? The voices?"

I nodded my head, despite the new confusion that's slowly building inside my mind.

"I kept hearing not only Kairos and Zach — mas dumami, may namumuo ulit, may bago. And it was something, I-I... I couldn't risk having while we're together. Baka umabot sa puntong pati sa'yo, may magawa na'ko."

"W-What do you mean? Pati..? S-Sa'kin?"

He bit his lip and cupped both of my cheeks. "They—"

Saglit siyang nawalan ng balanse na halos ikatumba naming dalawa. His feet took a step forward, like he was being pushed by someone. It's a good thing that I held his arm, which made him come back to his senses before his body fell on me.

"What? They were what?" I asked after he cut himself off.

Namuo ang katahimikan saming dalawa na nagpabilis ng tibok ng puso ko. I could feel my nervousness spreading around my body when his face started to turn pale. May namumuong pawis na rin sa gilid ng noo niya na mas lalong ipinagtaka ko.

I don't know what's happening to him... And I don't know why I'm suddenly feeling bad about it. Parang nagbago ang takbo ng mundo sa pagitan naming dalawa — bumagal at mas naging mabigat.

My eyes blinked. "Hey..." I said as I tapped him on his cheeks.

His eyes started to get lousy and sleepy, but he managed to smile at me. "Little brat..."