KABANATA 38

Kabanata 38

The thirty-eighth tick

My head tilted to the side when someone opened the door beside me. Umayos ako ng upo at sinamaan ng tingin ang katawan niya. He was standing, feet rooted on the ground, for reasons I don't know why.

Nang ibaling ko ang tingin sa harapan, tanging si Kuya Xavier lang ang naroroon — nakasilip ang ulo sa taong nakatayo sa gilid ko.

Lumingon ulit ako pabalik sakanya. Both rabi and I had our cheeks pinned to each other as we slowly sneaked out of our heads to get a view of him.

"Kuya—" My eyes blinked, seeing another figure that I didn't know I would see again.

He's back... He's finally back.

Mula sa paglingon sa likuran ng sasakyan, pababa sa'kin, mas naging depina ang bawat hulma ng mukha niya. His stretched jaw, adams apple that has always been sharp, and long neck made him more attractive to my eyes.

It's been what? Six? Going seven? How much did he change in all those years? Why did it take him almost now to come back? In the first place, why did he show up? I couldn't call it too sudden, because I've always dreamed in broad daylight of him coming back for me — or at least here.

I have so many questions, and all of them kept lurking in my mind. I wanted to ask every why and how of mine, but I couldn't bring myself to speak even once.

But I know... I have a thought in my mind with all those unsaid words.

The captain became my defensive pillar once again. And now, he not only didn't rule the court, but everything I could think of.

I gulped when a flock of birds passed up in the sky, making him more majestic to look at. From there, the thought that came in was that they were celebrating him. Not for the reason that he's back, but because he looks more free than he ever was.

Ang liwanag mula sa araw ay bumagay din sa buhok niyang iba na ang kulay. It was making him shine, dominant, and be known to every passerby. The blue sky, the white clouds, and him overall were the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen in the last couple of years.

His hair, which was always messy in front but had a clean cut on its side, and was only covering his forehead, turned brushed and neat. Humaba ang buhok niya at halatang inayos niya 'yon ngayon. It's parted, but also not. It's just enough to know where his hairline is.

The more I looked at him, the more every strand of his turned like waves on the ocean. Ang dati niyang itim na buhok ay naging kulay puti na mas lalong nagpabigat ng kaniyang aura.

Lips parted because of shock, teary orbs because of love, and blinking eyes because of pain; I could see my own reaction from the lens of his black glasses. It was too much... Not only those three, but surprise, betrayal, and confusion as well. I could feel them all at once, and it's making my heart beat so fast.

Only then could I take a look at his clothing. Muling bumalik sa mata ko ang una kong ginawang paglingon sakanya, bago ko nakita ang mukha niyang mas lalong naging depina at seryoso.

From the collar, I'm sure he's wearing a white shirt underneath. A gray jacket that had his zipper opened, and another black leather one on top of it. He's wearing three layers of different monotones paired with another shade of black as his bottom. He's also wearing Nike shoes, I guess.

His style hasn't changed. It's still comforting and elegant, but also in a streetstyle way.

Another pain — a physical pain. It's what I felt after holding my breath. Pagkatapos sauluhin ang bawat pagbabago niya, ay tsaka ko lang naisip ang kanina ko pang pinipigilang paghinga.