KABANATA 47

Kabanata 47

The forty-seventh tick

I lost count of how many times I asked about him, his whereabouts, and what was happening. Repeatedly, again and again, they answered the same thing.

"He cancelled." Kuya Xavier said, when I heaved a deep sigh.

They were right... Because before I could even cry a while ago, both of them dragged me again outside and drove me to the venue. Tahimik lang sila habang inaayos ko ang sarili ko habang nasa byahe kami. Pagkarating, ilang beses kong hinanap si Kairos kanina, pero natapos na lahat ng pangyayari sa program, wala akong naaninag na kahit isang anino niya. His name was called, along with the Athletic Achievement award and being one of the Cum Laude graduates, but he didn't show up; he didn't come up on the stage.

Kuya Zyler placed a whole box of pizza he ordered online on the coffee table, before jumping beside me.

I bit my lip. "Why—"

"Hindi nga namin alam." Kuya Zy said, which cut me off from asking again.

"But how come na kayo lang nasabihan?" Malungkot akong napatingin sakanya. "I'm his girlfriend, Kuya. I should know it first."

Inakbay niya ang braso niya sa balikat ko at ginulo ang buhok ko. "Huwag mong hanapin ang ayaw magpakita."

Before I could even protest and ask again, he made me eat pizza by shoving it directly into my mouth. And just like that, I was silent for the time being.

They were like this for hours; we were like this for the whole day until the evening came. Nakatulog na parehas sina Kuya Zyler sa couch at si Kuya Xavier naman sa sahig na nilatagan lang, pero dilat pa rin ang mga mata ko.

I'm laying down on the bed, staring at the ceiling, and questioning him throughout the night. Kahit na dinapuan na 'ko ng antok, minabuti ko pa ring labanan 'yon. I was praying and hoping for him to get home already. I was doing all of that every few seconds while covering my mouth and letting my tears fall silently.

The next day, my body immediately got up. At first, I was staring at my side, where his body was usually at — his chest where my face was buried, his aroma that I used to sniff, and his presence to which I was addicted. Pero nang maalala na hindi siya umuwi, ay kaagad kong nilibot ang tingin ko.

Napatingin sa'kin si Kuya Zyler nang mapansin ako. His elbows were placed on the counter, his body leaning, while he waited for Kuya Xavier to finish whatever he was cooking. "Gandang tanghali naman sa'y—"

"Si Kairos?" I said, after checking every corner of the whole apartment. Bumalik lang ang tingin ko sakanila nang hindi siya mahagilap kung saan.

"Aba ewan..." His shoulders shrugged. "Mukha ba 'kong hanapan ng nawawala?"

Instead of my usual personality — scoffing, rolling my eyes, and just being mataray — my whole body reacted differently. My feet were lousy, and my eyes were puffy and teary as I headed straight to the bathroom. It's as if I were begging. I may look like that, but it doesn't matter.

I need to see him. I need to see if he's alright. I need to feel him — that, those, anything with him — and because of him, I can only make all the pain go away.

But none...

Nothing was there when I pushed the door open, and he wasn't there when I went inside. Kahit nga likod ng pinto ay tinignan ko, pero wala pa rin.

I sighed and looked outside the bathroom. Nando'n na si Kuya Zyler at inosenteng nakatingin sa'kin. Behind him was our older brother, while in front of his feet was Rabi. Kuya Xavier appeared with his arms crossed together while holding a spatula. And our rabbit, who was looking up at me.