KABANATA 41

Kabanata 41

The forty-first tick

A ring... Tingling and ear-splitting ring. The metal was continuously hitting the clock to make those sounds.

I slowly opened my eyes, only to be greeted by my rabbit. She was looking down at me with her nose scrunched — inaamoy niya ang buong mukha ko. She always does that, and I'm used to it already. Minsan nga ay nakaupo pa siya sa buong mukha ko na siyang nagpapagising sa'kin.

My lips pouted. "Rabi..." I groaned before pressing the button on my alarm clock to turn it off.

I almost screamed when I saw a man not far away from me after I sat up on the bed. Kinuha ko ang unan na siyang pinakamalapit sa'kin at ibinato sakanya 'yon. "Who are you?! Get out!"

Kunot-noo siyang lumingon sa'kin matapos tumama sa ulo niya ang unan. "Your captain, maybe?" He said sarcastically before picking it up.

My eyes blinked. I slowly felt my cheeks burning up when I realized that it was him, Salvador, who just went home and asked to stay here. I suddenly remember, it was just yesterday when he came back. He fell asleep on the couch right after fixing his stuff, while I was staring at him until I felt tired and sleepy too.

He's really back...

I rolled my eyes, despite the kahihiyan that happened to me. "My ex, maybe?"

He pursed his lips as he hugged the pillow with one arm. "Your soon-to-be boyfriend again, maybe?"

It was so sassy... Ginaya niya ang tono ng pananalita ko. He was not letting my attitude and phrase slide.

I scoffed and crossed my arms, "Don't be so sure. You're perhaps not welcome on the list anymore." ganti ko.

"You..." His head tilted. "You have a list?"

Muntik na kong matawa nang mahimigan ang gulat sa boses niya. His mocking voice was no longer there.

I flipped my hair. "Of course I have! They're all flocking over me kaya, and I can just choose whomever I want." I giggled with excitement and started raising my fingers one by one. "From France, Korea, America—"

"The future husband doesn't want to hear it." He opened the refrigerator, crouching his upper body down to look into it.

I went silent while he continued to look through my stuff. Parang wala lang sakanya ang sinabi niyang 'yon — normal at sigurado.

I face-palmed myself, "F-Future husband?" mahinang ulit ko sa sarili ko.

He said, 'future husband'! Oh my gosh! Kakabalik niya palang, pero may plan na siya for that? Without asking me?! The audacity! As if I'll accept it immediately, naman. He has to suffer din naman kahit papa'no, right?

"What are you doing?"

Napatalon ako paalis ng kama dahil sa naging tanong niya. "I do!" I screamed subconsciously while ironing the pair of silk pajamas I'm wearing with my hands.

I slowly looked up when I heard no single answer from him. Napalunok ako nang makita ang kalituhan sa mga mata niya. Nakasara na ang kaninang tinignan niyang ref at ang buo niyang atensyon ay na sa'kin. He now has the rabbit in his arms, who maybe ran up to him. Both of them have their eyes set patiently on me.

"Uh..." I chuckled, "None..?" nakangiti kong sagot.

He nodded his head. "I was looking through your kitchen and saw nothing."

My lips twitched. "Because there's nothing to see naman?"

His forehead creased. "You don't cook? Saan ka kumakain?"