KABANATA 51

Kabanata 51

The fifty-first tick

I felt a hand on my shoulder. When I looked to see who it was, I saw Kuya Xavi. He was staring and examining every dried tear on my cheeks.

I bit my lip and slowly embraced him. Naramdaman ko ang pagyakap niya sa'kin pabalik na ikinapikit ng mga mata ko.

He didn't say anything, but the pat he's giving on my head and the caresses he's giving on my back were all I needed to hear his silent words and comfort.

I tilted my head and leaned the side of my face against his chest. Doon ko nakita ang mga kaibigan kong papalapit sa'min. Pinapangunahan yon nina Ivy at Sab, na halos mabali ang mga takong dahil sa pagtakbo nila. Izelle was trying to catch up behind them, while Ais and Vanna were walking just fine.

Bumitaw ako kay Kuya at sinalubong sila. Sab, being who she is, jumped on her last step, which caused us to fall together. Napahinto si Ivy dahil do'n na dapat nang yayakapin ako.

"Uh..." Her unsure face was replaced by shock when Izelle also pinned her body to the both of us. Sabay kaming napangiwi ni Sab dahil sa biglaang pagdagan niya sa'min.

Ivy was about to join us on the floor too, but Vanna held the back of her dress and pulled her up with it before she could even do that. Tinanggap ko ang kamay ni Ais nang ilahad niya sa'kin 'yon — leaving Izelle and Sab, still sitting on the floor. Pinanood namin silang matapos magtulakan papalayo sa isa't isa, habang patuloy na naguunahan tumayo.

Ivy was the first one to hug me, followed by both Sab and Izelle, who were still competing with each other. Only Ais helped me away from them before Vanna and her could embrace me too.

"Why are you here?" I asked, even though Sab pulled both of my lips widely.

She went to my back and held my cheeks before doing it again. I don't know what's up with her, but I'm used to it already, so I just let her play with my face.

"Nyxene," Sabay-sabay kaming napatingin kay Kuya dahil do'n, "I'll try to call Mom and Dad." paalam niya bago kami iwan.

"Zyler texted us—"

"Ikaw lang yung tinext... Sinabihan mo lang kami." Izelle said, which cut Ais from speaking.

Saglit siyang pinasadahan ng tingin ni Ais dahil do'n. She only made a peace sign before snatching me away from Sab. Niyakap niya ako patalikod at binigyan ng halik sa pisngi.

"Hindi muna ikaw ang aawayin ko for today, kahit mukhang tilapiang hindi na sariwa 'yang mga mata mo." She whispered before giving me a kiss again.

I was too weak to roll my eyes and push her away, but my sideways stare was enough to make her laugh.

"So..." Ivy raised her hand, which took all our attention. "Zyler texted Ais first, and Ais fetched all of us right after, without a single heads up too; that's why we're here!" She pouted her lips and pointed at the apron she's wearing. "Just look at this! Asher, Asha, and I were busy cooking, when we heard several doorbells. Asher opened the door, but the next thing I knew, I was being dragged away from my family!" Naniningkit ang mga mata niyang tinuro si Vanna.

Vanna raised her brow at her. "Umuwi ka, kung gusto mo pa ring magbahay-bahayan."

Ivy scrunched her nose before looking back at me. Nginitian niya 'ko, "I'm not mad that I went here, ah? Nakakainis lang kasi ilang beses kong tinanong sina Ais at Vanna kung sa'n nila 'ko dadalhin, but they're not speaking up!" may tampo niyang sumbong.

Sab nodded her head repeatedly, "Para kaming mababaliw kanina! Alam mo naman 'yang dalawang 'yan..." She hugged herself, "Kapag nagsama akala mo may balak na masama." kunwaring takot na sabi niya.