KABANATA 50

Kabanata 50

The fiftieth tick

I saw it with my own eyes... I saw how the bullet grazed Rabi's skin and penetrated Ace's chest. I saw how the blood came out of his mouth and dripped on the concrete floor.

My lips quivered as I cried loudly. "D-Don't leave me... D-Don't you dare leave me."

For the first time... I also saw how it colored our daughter's white fur. Unti-unting kumalat 'yon sa katawan niya.

I looked at the gunner with piercing eyes. "Fuck you! F-Fuck you! H-How can... H-How can you do this? Why us?! Why him?! Why even our rabbit?!" I yelled with all my voice.

His eyes kept blinking as I shouted my anger. Dahan-dahan siyang umatras na nagpalakas ng sigaw ko. I kept on cursing and calling him to feed the emotion written on his face. Kahit sobrang sakit na ng lalamunan ko ay hindi ko magawang tumigil.

A gasp came out of my mouth as I felt Ace's weight when his back leaned on me. Saglit na nabaling ang tingin ko sakanya dahil do'n. "P-Please... Kairos... Z-Zach! My captain... D-Don't leave me, huh? J-Just—" Halos pumiyok ang boses ko sa pagmamakawa sakanya habang nakatingin lang siya sa'kin.

Please don't take them away from me... Please someone help them. Don't do this to us.

Nanginginig ang kamay ko at hindi ko alam kung anong dapat kong hawakan sakanya: pabalik-balik ang mga 'yon sa pagbabalak na haplusin ang balikat, braso, at maging ang leeg niya. Pero hindi ko magawa... Hindi ko alam kung anong dapat unahin. I can only attempt because I don't have the courage to touch him right now.

I don't want to be lost again... I don't think I'll be able to let go of that...

Nakaluhod din ang aking mga tuhod habang nakasandal sa'kin si Ace na patuloy pa rin sa pagdaing at pag-ubo ng dugo. And our rabbit... It's right in front of us. She's lying sideways with teary eyes. The sight of them looking helplessly and in deep pain felt like the death of me too.

My head looked up after hearing the siren of the police, followed by an ambulance. That made me scream again, and to raised my hand to call them.

The feeling was exhilarating, but the pit in my stomach is still there, lingering and staying when I realize that the one who shot Ace isn't there anymore where I last saw him.

Kahit nanlalabo ang mga mata, nahagip pa ng paningin ko ang magkasunod na kotse nina Kuya Zyler and Xavier. The two of them stepped out of their car and started running towards us along with the medics they were with.

"Y-You heard me, r-right? The both of you..." I bit my lip when a hiccup escaped from my mouth. Hindi ko magawang makapagsalita nang maayos dahil para bang ano mang minuto ay lalagutan na ako ng hininga.

My heart's aching too much, and it's unbearable. Gusto ko nalang dalhin ng hangin ang lahat ng nangyari ngayong araw — away from my mind, heart, and soul. I just want to disappear and wake up with all of this as a dream.

Please... I still want them... I still need them...

I cried even harder when Ace reached for our rabbit and carried her in his arms. Kahit hirap na hirap at patuloy ang paglabas ng dugo sakanya ay nagawa niya pa ring patahanin at laruin si Rabi na dumadaing din sa sakit. He's patting and caressing her back while covering the wound on her side with the one he used to embrace her with.

Be kind to us just this once... I swear I'll love him all my life. I'll take every pain and mystery that his life has to offer if it means that I can spend more time with him and my rabbit — the three of us together. I can accept him again. I will do that naman, eh... So, please... Please let us be happy.