KABANATA 05

Kabanata 05

The fifth tick

I sniffed and pouted my lips before my eyes traveled from his clean white shirt down to his jersey shorts, "I thought wala kang training?" naguguluhan kong tanong bago ibalik ang tingin sakanya. "Sabi mo yesterday, cancelled na ng coach niyo."

He bit the tip of his tongue, "Let's get you home." sabi niya, not really giving me the answer that I wanted.

His eyes went to my hand when I held the hem of his shirt, "Go home na..?" nanlulumo kong tanong.

His eyes blinked. "Why? Where should you be at this hour?"

I started playing with his shirt: pulling, twisting, and swaying it with my hand. "I waited for you..." I mumbled, too shy for him, na marinig 'yon. My eyes met his, when I raised my head. "So... I'm kinda hungry na rin."

His lips parted. "You've been waiting for me since?"

I bit my lip, "Since... 5:50?" I chuckled after that.

He went silent, probably counting the hours. His forehead creased as he went in front of me and stared directly into my eyes, "I know that it's my fault, but you should have informed me." mahinahon niyang sinabi.

Umirap ako sakanya at umiwas ng tingin. "And it's not my fault din na makakalimutin ka na like an old grandpa." My eyes blinked. "But if I did... What would you do?"

His head tilted. "I could have ditched my training for you."

My lips went wide open as I looked at him. "You... What?" My brows furrowed together when I asked that.

"I said that I would ditched my training to get to you. Is that hard to believe?" He bit the tip of his tongue and ruffled his hair. "Don't ask me again."

Even with my burning cheeks, I tried my best to shake my head, purposely disagreeing with him. "You don't have to do that. I mean, I could go home naman—"

"No." He held the strap of his gym bag and leaned down to me, letting our faces be only centimeters apart: my head was looking up while he was staring down at my face.

I gulped at the same time my feet took a step backward. The burning cheeks of mine earlier became more intense. I could even feel it spreading on my ears, making it a bit itchy and super duper hot. "A-Anong no..."

"Listen..." He heaved a deep sigh. "If you ever need me, if you want to see me, or if I ask you out... Don't you ever wait." His jaw clenched the moment he licked his lips. "Just don't... You understand?"

I pursed my lips and slowly nodded my head.

His eyes stared at me for a few more minutes before he stood up and straightened his body. "What do you want to eat?"

A smile immediately formed on my lips because of what he said. "Anything good?"

"I know a resto a few blocks away from here." He said while wearing the thin sports headband that was wrapped around his left wrist a while ago.

I jumped excitedly and walked to where his body was pointing. "Resto... Resto... Resto..." I said, chanting it repeatedly.

"Hey..." I hummed and looked back at him when he called me, still walking, but now it's backwards.

He pointed through his back. "It's there..."

My mouth formed an 'o'. Jumping and running a bit, I made my way back in front of him. I chuckled and pointed the way to his school again. "There nga sabi ko..."