KABANATA 36

Kabanata 36

The third twelve

"Our relationship went well. We are with each other more than ever now that he's no longer on the basketball team."

I chuckled. "Of course he still plays pa rin naman if I want him to. When I ask him to teach me, we'll be there kaagad at our subdivision's court after: him, watching me quietly with a small smile on his lips as he chases the ball I just throw, and me, giggling and being arrogant whenever I manage to shoot in the ring."

I bit my lip and started tapping my long nails on the table. "There's a time where Zach would show up too. Mostly, it's around midnight. I'll just wake up in the middle of the night feeling someone holding my hand and caressing me on my head in my own room."

"I was so shocked the very first time that it happened pa nga, thinking someone else was inside our house." Umiling ako at tinignan sila isa-isa. "But I get used to it as the time goes by naman. When I felt those little strokes from his calloused hand along with his manly and comforting aroma, I immediately knew it was from him." My shoulders shrugged. "He does that a lot. Even if it's too late or he's in the middle of his class, once he manages to snap out of sleeping, he will go directly to me. I'll just smile and embrace him until he calms down."

May namuong ngiti sa mga labi ko. "As they kept exchanging personas, I realized something in between. Kairos and Zach — the both of them would be so confused and afraid whenever they came out of their shells. They would become so possessive in both different ways."

Zach would literally cling to me the very first time he got a view of my being, no matter where we were: in the middle of the hallway or the huge crowd, in front of our house, or even when my kuyas were around. He doesn't hesitate to bend his back for an hour just to hug me tightly, or his lap to feel numb whenever he makes me sit on them like I was a baby.

Si Kairos naman... He would take me out for our go-to study or basketball date when it took him days to come back just to watch and observe me intently. But when it's just a span of hours lang naman, he makes sure that he and I can experience some new varieties of quality time, like eating, cooking, baking, and even buying groceries together. We look like a married couple, pero kailangan na uwian pa rin ako sa bahay. It doesn't bother him naman to fetch or take me home every day.

About the first time he said that he would give me anything? We literally went to a pet store! Instead of buying cats and dogs like a normal couple would do, we ended up getting a rabbit, as in! A white rabbit!

Don't get me wrong, I love our little baby naman. It's just that, super clingy niya kay Kairos tapos sa'kin hindi. So unfair lang!

My lips twitched, seeing the rabbit being so touchy to him... Again. Nakatalikod si Kairos mula sa'kin at bitbit niya 'yon gamit ang isa niyang kamay. Sa kabila naman ay hinahalo niya ang kapeng kakatimpla niya palang.

I pouted when the rabbit began sniffing his shoulders up to his hair. Umirap ako nang inosenteng napunta ang tingin niya sa'kin.

Kairos finally glanced at me, "What's with that face?" nalilitong tanong niya bago ako lapitan.

He placed the rabbit down on the bed as he sipped on his bitter-black coffee.

I patted the comforter, telling him to sit down, which he followed. I crawled up to him and sat on his lap. Kinuha ko ang twalya na nakapaikot sa leeg niya at sinimulang ipunas 'yon sa kaniyang ulo. He just stayed still and stared at me like he always does while drinking from his mug little by little.

Bumaba ang tingin ko sa alaga naming tumalon din sa hita ni Kairos. She was in the space between us, squeezing in just to make papansin.

My head tilted, "We should name her, you know?" tukoy ko sa rabbit.