KABANATA 35

Kabanata 35

The thirty-fifth tick

A low thud... Followed by a hit... Until it became clear to my ears, those were knocks coming from the door of my room.

I groaned and slowly opened my eyes. Mas lalong lumakas ang tunog ng bawat katok na 'yon nang magising ang diwa ko. I frowned and turned my body around from sleeping with my front. Inabot ko ang unan na nasa paahan ko na at mahigpit na binaon sa mukha ko 'yon.

I was about to go to sleep again, but there was the same sound — a knuckle hitting the wood — that shattered my peace.

"What?!" Inaantok at nagmamaktol kong tanong matapos tanggalin ang unan sa mukha ko.

"It's me." His deep voice became way more cold and baritone because of the frame against us.

Nagmadali akong tumayo at tumakbo papunta sa pinto nang matauhan kung kanino ang boses na 'yon. I reached for the doorknob and twisted it. Ngumiti ako sakanya nang magkasalubong ang mga mata naming dalawa.

"Hi!" My nose scrunched as I leaned my head on the side of the door. Nakahawak ang dalawang kamay ko 'ron habang nakatingala sakanya.

My eyes followed his arm when it moved closer to the door frame. Dinikit niya ang siko niya 'ron at inabot ang balikat ko gamit ang mga daliri niya. His fingertips ran on my shoulder blades, "Did I disturb you?" mahinang tanong niya.

My eyes blinked. "N-No..." Tumawa ako nang pilit at umayos ng tayo.

He nodded his head and didn't say anything back at me.

I smiled and hopped in front of him, making ourselves much closer to each other. I tugged at the hem of his shirt and rested my chin on his chest. "You should have come inside nalang."

His forehead creased a bit because of what I said, which made me smirk at him. "Why? Naiilang ka ba, hmm?" Nang-aasar kong tanong sakanya.

His biceps, which were flexing against my room's doorframe, encircled my waist. He bit the tip of his tongue, like he always does, before answering me. "You're this confident now, huh?"

I tiptoed and widened my eyes at him, making his shirt stretch because I was clinging to it. "I have been confident since birth kaya!" Inirapan ko siya, "Excuse me lang, ah?" maarte kong sagot bago siya bitawan at layuan.

"Yeah?" He crossed his arms. "The last time I checked, you threw tantrums at your mother because I saw you in..." Bumaba ang tingin niya sa damit ko, paakyat ulit sa mukha ko. "That exact same pajama of yours."

My forehead knitted together as I glanced down at my pair of pjs too. "What are you talking about?"

He licked his lips. "I also heard that it was you who told your mother to make you brothers clean your cars becau—"

I gasped and immediately covered his mouth with my hands when I finally realized what he meant — stopping him before he could even end his sentence.

My eyes squinted, "You're this palaasar na, huh?" sarkistong gaya ko sa sinabi niya kanina.

He couldn't do or say anything but stare at me. Hindi niya rin tinangkang alisin ang dalawang kamay kong tinatabunan ang bibig niya, kaya mas lalong tumapang ang mukha ko.

"And what are you? Nagrereklamo?" I gritted my teeth, purposely making him see them clash against one another. "You don't want me in this state, huh? Yung walang ligo? Ayos?" I rolled my eyes. "If you don't want me like this, then continue on disliking it nalang! You're my boyfriend, but that's just so meany, Kairos." I frowned. "I love you, but I don't dress for you, okay?" Tuloy-tuloy at madiin kong paliwanag.