KABANATA 42

Kabanata 42

The forty-second tick

I smiled and accepted his hand. "Resto... Resto... Resto..." I mumbled as he pulled me inside — our hands intertwining, which I didn't mind nalang.

There weren't a lot of people when we came in, and all of them looked at us. Papalit-palit ang tingin nila hindi lang sa'ming dalawa, but also to our rabbit. I could feel different emotions from them, especially from the girls, which made me smirk.

I pursed my lips and sat down on the chair he had pulled for me. "Thank you..."

He patted my head before sitting opposite to where I was. Kasabay nang paglapit ng waiter ang paglapag ko kay rabi sa lamesa. I just let her sniff my fingers as I scanned the menu with my other hand, trying to find a salad that would not ruin my diet plan for this month.

I pointed at the mixed fruits and nuts I saw before I stared at him. "Here lang sa'kin, siguro..."

He seemed to not like what I said. Nakataas lang ang kilay niyang tinititigan ang order ko.

I was about to ask him if there was any problem ba, but he silently gathered our menu book before giving it back to the waiter. He ordered a steak meal for himself, a plate of fries and chips, and a Coke as a drink.

"How about you, Ma'am?" Nakangiting tanong niya sa'kin matapos isulat lahat 'yon.

I smiled and pulled the rabbit away from the edge when she peeked through it. "Fruits and Nut Salad."

"Any drinks you would like to add?" He asked while writing it on his mini-note.

"Uh..." I fixed our rabi's headdress when it covered her eyes after she scratched the back of her ears. "Cold water will do, thank you." Mabilis na sabi ko.

"And cold water..." The waiter mumbled before taking notes on what I said. "Repeat ko lang po order niyo... Prime Sirloin Steak, Fries and Chips Classic, Fruits and Nuts Salad, regular coke, and cold water for drinks — once of each."

I was about to nod my head, but he cleared his throat, which made the two of us, the waiter and I, look at him.

He glanced at me, "Add shortcake shake and tiramisu too." tipid na sabi niya bago balingan ang waiter.

My lips parted when I realized what he ordered that for... Or for whom — he said those new orders. Suddenly, I felt my cheeks flushing with so much shyness. I kept gulping my own saliva because of those words. It made me think of the first time he did this — observing and being keen without me realizing.

I cleared my throat and averted my eyes when he looked back. Halos lahat ng nasa paligid namin, sa labas man o sa loob ng resto, ay kinukuhanan kami ng litraro. I'm pretty sure someone has already posted them, and they're trending nationwide right now and will soon reach other countries too.

"Uh..." My lips pouted, "You don't mind the cameras?" tanong ko sakanya.

"Do you?"

My head turned swiftly back to him. "No nama—" I crossed my arms when I sensed his monotone voice. "I asked you first, ah?"

His eyes aren't pinned on me anymore. He was busy placing the food container I made for our rabbit on the table.

"You don't mind being on the news and social media?" I asked again.

He glanced at me in the middle of feeding her before concentrating back on what he was doing. He licked his lips. "It's not like your boyfriend didn't appear on TV too."

"Past..." I placed my elbows on the table and rested my face on the back of my hands as I said that. "You mean 'past boyfriend'."

His brow rose even though he was watching our rabbit eat her meal. Nakita ko pa ang pagsimangot niya na hindi naman niya itinago sa'kin. He faces me with that slightly sulking expression of his.