Chapter 5. A Gusty and Daring Maid (I)

"Ah, finally awake?"

When I woke up, I was already back in my room and Rumi was seated next to my bed. Beside her was Leila, who seemed to have cried a night's worth of tears based on how swollen her eyes.

"Belle!" My redhead friend burst into convulsive sobs then threw herself on me. "You're awake!

I also noticed Sir Edward, the head butler, standing from a distance with the head maid, Ma'am Olivia.

"If you hit your head another time, I'm going to kill you myself." Rumi threatened. "Just when did you become such a troublemaker, Belle?"

My jaw dropped. "W-Why are you scolding me?"

"Because you could have handled the situation better, young lady." The head butler interrupted.

Sir Edward gave me an austere look.

"Now that you've regained consciousness, why don't you tell us what exactly happened between you and Viscount Silvia?" he inquired further.

My face crumpled in exasperation. Ah, right.

I averted my gaze from them. "I believe I had already told Grand Duke Averill of my own account. The viscount was making it difficult for the maids to do their work in peace. Nobody wanted to bring him his food, so I volunteered."

"And?" Sir Edward seemed impatient.

"And he tried to do the same with me, so I called him out for trying to get under my skirt, then he went batshit crazy. That's just about it, I guess."

"Watch your words, Belle." The head maid clicked her tongue. "Remember, he's still a viscount."

"Why do I need to walk on eggshells because of him? I'm the victim here." I retorted then rolled my eyes. "I even made sure to be polite the whole time. When he laid his hands on me, I simply told him that he can't do that. I wasn't even asking for an apology."

All of them exchanged somber looks.

"I may be a commoner, but I'm still a maid from the Sun Palace. No one from the imperial family has ever laid their hands on me, but then a low-ranking noble from some shithole suddenly comes here and touches my butt? What the hell?"

Their eyes almost popped out from my words.

"I'd let the emperor spank me all day, but I refuse to be harassed by a viscount who's not even my own master!" I asserted without hesitation.

"Belle!" Leila shrieked in horror, her shrill voice piercing my ears. "Have you lost your mind?!"

"W-Whatever happened to the meek and quiet Isabelle?" Madam Olivia looked like she was about to faint from shock. "Who is this foul-mouthed child in front of me?"

"It looks like she's finally gone insane after hitting her head twice." Rumi shook her head in dismay.

"If you want me to apologise to that scumbag, forget it. I'd rather die!" I stubbornly crossed my arms. "I would have acknowledged my mistake if I did make one, but I believe I did nothing wrong this time."

The three ladies sighed in disappointment.

Sir Edward, on the other hand, stared intensely at me that I dared not to look his way. After a moment of silence, the head butler suddenly shook his head then... smiled? What? Why are you smiling at me? Dude, you're freaking me out.

"You're right. His arrogance knows no bounds." Sir Edward adjusted the frame of his glasses. Strangely, he had an approving look. "You lack tact and speak crudely, but I commend your courage for standing up to the viscount. Well done."