Chapter 43. Allies

For the first time, I was afraid to wake up.

Things took an unpredictable turn, all in my favor, and it was too good to be true. I was afraid that all of this might be a dream, that this bliss wasn't real.

But when I woke up with Alistair Kirsten de Averill beside me, my heart was filled with happiness and his face brought me peace.

"Good morning." he greeted me affectionately.

Since I couldn't speak, I opted to bury my face on his chest. The grand duke smiled at my gesture and lovingly wrapped his arms around me.

"You have no idea how long I've dreamed of this." Alistair whispered to me then planted soft kisses on my bare neck. "Shall we do it one more time?"

"No."

We were both startled by the voice filled with dismay. When we turned to our right, we found Haniel standing on the bedside with his arms crossed and his face crumpled in annoyance.

"For heaven's sake, let her get some rest." Haniel clicked his tongue. "She needs to eat, Your Grace."

Grand Duke Averill stared at him. "What, you are still here, Astana?" he said with blatant irritation.

Instead of paying heed to the grand duke, Haniel focused on me. He placed my clothes on my side, newly-washed and neatly folded, then smiled.

"Get dressed." The black-haired mage remarked in a soothing voice. "I prepared breakfast for you."

"What about me?" Alistair interrupted.

Haniel hissed at him like a feline. "Unfortunately, I bear no romantic feelings for you so I do not care even if you starve, Your Grace." he said bluntly.

"What a shame." Alistair replied to him, smiling.

Anyway, I took my clothes and started dressing myself. While doing so, Haniel flinched then turned around immediately. He was flustered.

"I know that you two have just sorted out your feelings, but we have a lot of talking to do." He stated in a serious tone this time. "We have to discuss how to deal with the plot from now on."

"What is there to discuss?" Alistair asked as he began dressing himself as well. "Isabelle shall come with me to the north. End of the story."

I silently went to the table to have my breakfast, but Haniel noticed me and rushed to my side.

"That would be unwise, Your Grace." He argued while pulling out the chair for me. I sat down.

The grand duke frowned. "And why is that?"

"Grand Duchess Averill is in the north, isn't she?" Haniel reasoned while handing me the utensils. He's quite the multitasker. "She might hurt her."

"First, let me get this straight." Alistair pursed his lips. "Ruth does not love me. We tied the knot for convenience and our marriage is contractual."

So it's a marriage of convenience. I don't know about the part that she doesn't love him, though. The way I saw it, Ruth was quite attached on him.

"Our contract did not include a certain deadline, but we both agreed to divorce each other when one of us has a newfound love." Alistair added.

The black-haired mage, on the other hand, became increasingly confused. "But that isn't the point-!"

Haniel suddenly paused, like a realization dawned on him. He turned to me with a questioning look before folding his knees to level our gazes.

"You haven't told him about Lilith?" he whispered.

I shook my head with a contrite expression.

"Why?" Haniel asked in a small voice.