Chapter 33. Something Dangerous

That was the moment we almost fell, in whatever sense of the word. Almost fell to our death, almost fell into temptation. The chances of us dying and succumbing to attraction were equally strong.

I realized I was probably sick in the head.

Because I thought it wouldn't be bad to die here right here and now, with our hands intertwined.

"Shit!" Grand Duke Averill cursed when his blade finally snapped, releasing us from the surface.

At this point, Alistair gave up on trying to save us. Instead, the grand duke focused on shifting our positions and braced for the imminent fall below.

"Fret not," He whispered then pulled me closer to his ironclad chest. "I won't let you die like her."

His words had my eyes rimming with tears.

The trees broke the momentum of our fall, but Alistair took the brunt of it all. He was wearing an armor, but I saw how he winced in pain as we broke through tree branches before finally landing on the ground. I was still in his arms.

The impact made my head spin. This is bad.

I knew it. I knew that he purposely let me land on top of him, so he would take the impact of the fall.

I wanted to call out his name, but my damn voice was non-existent as usual. So I got up despite my ringing head and checked on the grand duke.

He passed out. His head was bleeding profusely.

Calm down, I kept chanting inside my head.

I'm not Isabelle anymore. I'm Allari now, and she has a body rich in mana and a flair for healing.

I can save him. No, I will save him, at all costs.

I wanted to start healing him right away, but the sky has already faded into bruised purple. We're in the Forest of Silla and the parts we patrolled earlier were only filled with low-level monsters, but where we landed was an unknown area.

I made up my mind. I'll get us somewhere safe.

It's already dark. I don't think the knights would be able to find us soon, especially when Alistair is unconscious. I'm mute so I have my limits. I can't make any sounds, so I cannot scream for help.

With that in mind, I mustered all my strength to move the grand duke. I roamed around as quiet as I could while half-carrying and half-pulling him.

After a few minutes of trying to find a safe space, I finally saw a small opening. I barely managed to carry Alistair inside the cavern that seemed okay.

This is tough, I thought to myself, out of breath.

In order to battle the cold of the night, I reinforced my magic to create a fire. It's a basic spell that I learned by watching Servan do it at home.

The recumbent Alistair remained unconscious.

I wasted no time and tended to his wounded head which is still bleeding, but not as much as before.