Chapter 6. A Gutsy and Daring Maid (II)

"You may go." Alistair returned to his previous spot. "Rest well, Isabelle."

I guess the cat got my tongue, because I could only bow in response to the Grand Duke. While leaving his quarters, the only thing I could hear was the loud thumping inside my chest. As expected from the second male lead, he has a flair for flirting.

That was dangerous. Like, sexy dangerous.

Alistair Kirsten de Averill was an alluring work of art, the kind of masterpiece that leaves you speechless at day and keeps you awake at night.

As if dealing with the second male lead wasn't enough, I bumped into the head butler and he informed me that the emperor wishes to see me.

I wanted to at least change into better clothes, but Sir Edward told me that the emperor dislikes waiting so I had no choice but to present my worn out self to him. That's how I ended up kneeling in front of His Majesty as he sat comfortably at the end of the throne hall.

"Your Majesty, I have brought Miss Isabelle."

The emperor of Cecil, Pierre Maggio Von Solaris, was a strong and wise ruler. During the early years of his reign, he unified the four great nations of Lumiere and succeeded in his conquest, giving birth to the Cecilian Empire.

Obviously, the male lead of this novel got his ebony black hair and crimson eyes from His Majesty. I've never seen Crown Prince Dion in person, but seeing his father right now, I'm pretty sure that he's just as attractive as him.

"This lowly servant greets His Imperial Majesty, the sun of the empire." I nervously said on bended knees. I didn't even dare to look him in the eye.

Despite being inches away from each other, I could feel his strong, regal presence from my spot.

"So you are the maid who earned Viscount Silvia's wrath." The emperor told me in a cordial tone.

My lips dithered. "I-I'm ashamed of my incompetence, Your Majesty."

"I heard from Edward. You'd let me spank you all day, but you refuse to be harassed by a viscount who's not even your own master. Is that right?"

His explosive laughter echoed inside the hall.

"Lady, while I appreciate your loyalty, I do not indulge in such practices." The emperor added, amusement evident on his crimson red eyes.

At that point, I just wanted the ground to swallow me whole and my eyes immediately landed on the head butler. If looks could only kill, he would've dropped dead at that moment. Are you serious?

At first it was the Grand Duke, and now you even told His Majesty? Why are you going around telling people that I'm some sort of a masochist, Sir Edward? Do you get paid for that, huh?

"A-Ahem!" Sir Edward noticed my piercing stare and cleared his throat with exaggeration. "Your Majesty, how would you like this to be handled?"

"Under normal circumstances, this maid should be punished for speaking insolently to a noble." I felt the emperor's fervid gaze. "Still, her display of courage and self-control is praiseworthy."

My mouth was tightly shut as I listened to him. Surely, they wouldn't execute me over something like that, right? Come on, I'm the victim here.

"Not once did you hit the viscount back. Why is that, servant?" The emperor curiously inquired.

I kept my gaze on the floor. "Because I am but a lowly maid, Your Majesty." I remarked humbly.

"I believe knowing one's place is also a virtue." His Majesty seemed pleased with my succinct answer. "Unlike you, the viscount forgot his own place and dared to act up in my palace."