Chapter 56. Partners

"In the novel, I never wrote that you have a twin."

Transmigrating into this world was a punishment for me, not a second chance in life. I already died thrice but kept reviving as an extra in this novel.

I was sick of it all. It made me feel like my life was worthless, that there was no point in trying to live as myself when my destiny was already decided.

For quite some time, despite not knowing who they were, I resented the author of this story.

This is all your fault, often times I thought.

To think that I would meet the author face to face.

"You," My jaw clenched. "What did you just say?"

"Hm? Nothing." The imperial princess eyed me curiously. "You wouldn't know even if I tell you."

I cautiously picked up the daggers that I dropped.

"You said something about the novel." I pursed my lips. "Are you, by any chance, a transmigrator?"

At that point, Princess Odette stood unblinking, trying to process what she had just been told.

Her expression was deceptively composed, but her shock was given away by a gasp. "Don't tell me-!"

"Yeah," I interrupted. "I'm a transmigrator, too."

The knight with an uncanny resemblance to me stepped forward, a chivalrous gesture to protect her master. "Your Highness, what's happening?"

Princess Odette ignored her knight and pushed her aside. "Are you really a transmigrator?"

My eyes narrowed into slits. "Yeah,"

"Oh, my!" The princess exclaimed in awe. "I never imagined that I would meet another transmigrator in my own story. I thought Ruth is the only one!"

My face hardened. Right. I met her once and she was Lady Camellia's friend, but I had no idea that she's also a transmigrator, and the creator at that.

In the end, it came from her own mouth.

That she was, indeed, the author of this novel.

"You're Kallen, the executioner, aren't you?" The princess asked. "You look so much like Ellis!"

I clenched my fists. "Why are you so happy?"

Princess Odette was taken aback by my query.

"Do you know how much I've had to suffer," My voice shook. "After ending up inside this stupid novel you wrote? What an insufferable bitch."

"Oh, my god." Princess Odette chuckled nervously at my words. "Her temper's worse than I thought."

Ellis, the knight identical to me, seemed to have sensed my hostility and immediately pulled the princess behind her. I was prepared to attack them again when Princess Odette screamed.

"W-Wait! Please listen to me!" She pleaded desperately. "We're supposed to be allies!"

I ignored her and prepared to lunge at them.

"I know your role in this arc!" She shouted in panic, her head protruding over the knight's shoulder. "You'll ignite the fire of a rebellion!"

I was momentarily stunned. What will I do?

"Are you willing to listen now?" Princess Odette grinned. "If you want me to tell you, then drop your weapon. I know you have a mission to kill me, but you shouldn't. We're on the same side."

"Says who?" I said through gritted teeth.

"Says me, the author of this story." she asserted without batting an eyelash. "If you had read the novel, shouldn't you know what happens next?"