Chapter 9. Flowers and Fortune

A World Without Light. That was the title of this novel where I transmigrated into. Strangely, no matter how much I rack up my brains, I cannot seem to remember the entire plot of the story.

I only know the names of the main characters and some description of them. Other than that, I can't remember what the story was all about. I vaguely recall that it was a dark fantasy novel, though.

Well, regarding my situation, I have a theory.

I first recalled the contents of the novel when the prologue was about to start. I failed to change the story and died as a result, but instead of dying, I woke up in the same body on a different setting.

I then managed to take over this body, the maid Isabelle, a week before the first chapter starts.

In the beginning of the story, I was a random kid who was used as the carrier of a bomb. Now, I'm a maid who will be murdered during the banquet.

What if that's my fate in this world? To restart my life every time a new chapter starts, only to die to advance the plot? And so, the cycle continues.

"What a shitty role." I mumbled to myself while staring past the window. If my surmise is correct, then the gods owe me an apology for this bullshit.

Anyway, what greeted us as the carriage arrived in town was the festive market with a huge variety of stalls. Merchants of different trades could be seen running to and fro, which means that business must be booming even on this humid morning.

"We have arrived!" The coachman announced.

The whole ride felt like a babysitting session. Well, at least for Grand Duke Averill and myself after listening to Sir Louie prattle like a three-year old.

"Jesus, we're finally here." I begrudgingly got out of the carriage when we arrived in the town.

"That was the most insufferable hour of my life." Alistair whispered while massaging his temples. He looked dead inside. "And here I thought I was already immune to that running mouth of his."

Now, I'm pretty certain that the two of them have a bond that goes beyond a knight and his master, since Alistair exhibited tolerance to Sir Louie, no matter how rudely the latter behaved or spoke.

"Eh? You two look so tired." Sir Louie commented with an innocent face. "We just sat in the carriage the whole time. Why do you look ten years older?"

A vein popped on the side of my forehead. It's all because of you, dude. You wouldn't stop talking.

"Your Grace," I furtively called the lord. "Would it be possible to get Sir Louie out of my sight?"

Sir Louie pouted. "I can totally hear you."

"Why?" Alistair whispered back. "You desire this outing to be just the two of us, hm? Like a date?"

I couldn't help but stare daggers at him.

"I was merely jesting." The grand duke snickered at my piercing eyes. "Why do you always look like you wish to eat me alive, Isabelle? I feel so hurt."

"With all due respect, that's exactly how I feel, Your Grace." Because you always stress me out.

"Oh? You wish to eat me alive?" Alistair gave me a knowing look. "You better choose your words wisely, otherwise I might misunderstand them."

I fought against the urge to roll my eyes.

"First you wanted the emperor to spank you, now you even want to eat a grand duke." He suddenly covered his chest, as if protecting himself from me. "Do you have a fetish for nobles, Isabelle?"